Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

more than likely it was the phone. Even though they take pleasing pictures the colors are not always correct. This is true of dedicated digital cameras as well. Digital color with most equipment is not usually color correct. It is the nature of digital color.

Walt

I agree with you. Thanks Walt.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more--and its more than just colors--it will adjust the 'lighting' as well and can falsely make the Cream look white. Here are 2 pictures of the same rooster take seconds apart. I think the camera was focusing on the background for the lighter one and the rooster for the darker one and doing internal adjustments to make the exposure:

I think this is what makes Cream so hard to capture in pictures--the warmer tones can get all but erased by the digital camera's software.

Is it as green as it looks in the photo?

Just want to share my first CCL egg laid. And someone had to peck at it! But still excited!

Is it as green as it looks in the photo?

Hi everybody, in addition to all the notes about digital color ranges, I just wanted to add that the red tray will tend to emphasize any greenish tint of "blue" eggs (blue/green spectrum) as they are contrasting colors.
I think it helps to photograph colors against white, and in this case, with a white egg in the picture too.
Hope you are all seeing lovely fresh spring colors around your homes.

Well my first egg hatched from my Cream Legbars. What do you think of this? Is this a white sport or just a very light cockerel?

Mine come from good stock. @madamwlf

The hatch is actually not due until tonight. I have 3 more CL eggs besides this early one in there so anxious to see what the rest look like!

Well my first egg hatched from my Cream Legbars. What do you think of this? Is this a white sport or just a very light cockerel?

The hatch is actually not due until tonight. I have 3 more CL eggs besides this early one in there so anxious to see what the rest look like!
If it hatched from pure CL eggs than it to me looks like a white CL

Well my first egg hatched from my Cream Legbars. What do you think of this? Is this a white sport or just a very light cockerel? Mine come from good stock. @madamwlf The hatch is actually not due until tonight. I have 3 more CL eggs besides this early one in there so anxious to see what the rest look like!
I'm not sure...perhaps the lighting but I think I see hints of grays, and often pics of white Legbar chicks are a brighter yellow. Please let us see his feathers in 3 days! I'm so curious!

Congrats!!! It does indeed look to me to be a White Cream Legbar and Madamwlf's flock has in the past carried recessive white.
woot.gif

Probably a female :) Once it fluffs up more it will be easier to tell. Girls will have an eye stripe and boys are a lighter creamier color with a head spot.

These pics show 2 White females and a male for comparison

Trish

I don't know if this is still active, but I'm wondering something as I raise my Legbars. Back to the discussion of color. Reading the original description of the Cream Legbar (see http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/41/1.pdf) , I wonder if its like the Jaerhon where the "gold" is a darker variety and the "cream" is a lighter variety. It could be that we get wonky colors from the Rees lines because we are breeding for the dark variety in males and the light variety in females. Or maybe something like that. Just a thought.

I don't know if this is still active, but I'm wondering something as I raise my Legbars. Back to the discussion of color. Reading the original description of the Cream Legbar (see http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/41/1.pdf) , I wonder if its like the Jaerhon where the "gold" is a darker variety and the "cream" is a lighter variety. It could be that we get wonky colors from the Rees lines because we are breeding for the dark variety in males and the light variety in females. Or maybe something like that. Just a thought.

Possibly. There is definitely a dark and light barring that we're seeing. There are also varying shades of cream.
But most of the wonky things I've seen have happened when I crossed strains and the hidden recessives emerged. There is something to be said for genetic diversity and the healthy birds it can produce, but left unchecked you can end up with all kinds of problems...I remember Curtis talking about it last year and warning members that letting the birds of unknown strains breed naturally in a flock, strongest rooster take all etc, was the quickest way to end up with hatchery quality birds. lots to ponder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom