Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Your chick is pretty, and Cream Legbars of my experience go through a lot of changes as they grow --which is part of the fun I guess.

I just weigh everything.... The raccoon I killed on the 14th 8 1/2 pounds the raccoon trapped on the 19th around 13 pounds --etc. Too many years spent doing analytical work to solve problems I guess... Like the olden days when milk was delivered by a milkman who had a horse pulled cart and the horse would stop at a house on the route even if the owners had moved away - because he knew his route...LOL

I would be curious of her weight -- if it is around 1 1/2 pounds then she is really 'normal' from the data that people have contributed to the Club. Regarding the feathers -- sometimes when I pick one up, I am astonished at the softness....Especially when you compare to a hard feathered breed.

Your chick is pretty, and Cream Legbars of my experience go through a lot of changes as they grow --which is part of the fun I guess.

I just weigh everything.... The raccoon I killed on the 14th 8 1/2 pounds the raccoon trapped on the 19th around 13 pounds --etc.  Too many years spent doing analytical work to solve problems I guess...  Like the olden days when milk was delivered by a milkman who had a horse pulled cart and the horse would stop at a house on the route even if the owners had moved away - because he knew his route...LOL

I would be curious of her weight -- if it is around 1 1/2 pounds then she is really 'normal' from the data that people have contributed to the Club.  Regarding the feathers -- sometimes when I pick one up, I am astonished at the softness....Especially when you compare to a hard feathered breed.  
Yes! She is soooo soft. She is my sons favorite out of all six pullets. She is sweet and gentle and doesn't flap around while he tries to hold her but will still run around and scratch. Other than size I see nothing else "wrong" with her. The only other chicken we have that is anywhere near as sweet and soft is our one silkie. Both are lap chickens. I'm going to attempt to weigh her this weekend. I was just worried she wasn't getting something she needed.

Yes! She is soooo soft. She is my sons favorite out of all six pullets. She is sweet and gentle and doesn't flap around while he tries to hold her but will still run around and scratch. Other than size I see nothing else "wrong" with her. The only other chicken we have that is anywhere near as sweet and soft is our one silkie. Both are lap chickens. I'm going to attempt to weigh her this weekend. I was just worried she wasn't getting something she needed.
Hopefully she will be near the range...just like humans, there are variations -but guidelines are good. I think you are smart to notice and make sure that she is getting all she needs, as someone said earlier - was it chicken pickin? their growing nutrition affects their whole life!

When I had more time and fewer chickens, I used to weigh mine every month. I really tells you a lot about them--especially if you are a beginner like me - and haven't developed the 'feel' that really experieced people have about their well being. Hopefully I will get back to that point very soon.

I just
love.gif
love to hear stories about how people are attached to chickens - thanks for sharing about your son's appreciation of this breed.

Hopefully she will be near the range...just like humans, there are variations -but guidelines are good.  I think you are smart to notice and make sure that she is getting all she needs, as someone said earlier - was it chicken pickin? their growing nutrition affects their whole life!

When I had more time and fewer chickens, I used to weigh mine every month.  I really tells you a lot about them--especially if you are a beginner like me - and haven't developed the 'feel' that really experieced people have about their well being.  Hopefully I will get back to that point very soon.  

I just :love love to hear stories about how people are attached to chickens - thanks for sharing about your son's appreciation of this breed.
We love them all but each have our favorites. I adore my silkie but my EEer opal is my favorite as she gives "hugs" where she comes up and puts her head and neck over my shoulder and snuggles into me. My daughter loves my silkie the best. Hubby just like eggs sooooo.........
1f601.png

I love my Cream Legbars and am fairly new to breeding them, though I am picky about who I keep for breed stock. I recently posted on a poultry facebook group and was promptly reprimanded that they are "Crested Cream Legbars". Not wanting to get into an argument with this person, I thought I would ask here. What is the correct term? Cream Legbars or Crested Cream Legbars?

I love my Cream Legbars and am fairly new to breeding them, though I am picky about who I keep for breed stock. I recently posted on a poultry facebook group and was promptly reprimanded that they are "Crested Cream Legbars". Not wanting to get into an argument with this person, I thought I would ask here. What is the correct term? Cream Legbars or Crested Cream Legbars?
The correct term is Cream Legbar.

Sounds like you are off to a good start with your flock and its good to get opinions from multiple sources and do lots of research. Some folks seem to have lots of strong opinions and are very happy to share them with you, but its going to be your job of taking the good advice and pitching the rest.

Would you mind sharing which FB group had this discussion--there are several?

Calling Cream Legbars CCLs or Creasted Cream Legbars is one of my pet peeves, actually. They have never been officially called this, although GFF did initially label them that way when they first arrived (which is ironic since many of the first imports lacked a crest). When I see people call them by that name it tells me that they probably got in on the first wave and haven't bothered reading the SOP since (and that means they are not breeding to improve the Cream Legbars) or they got their birds from one of the aforementioned group and are passing on misinformation-- Here is a link to the draft standard (it will be updated in the next few months, so keep an eye out for that revision) http://www.creamlegbarclub.com/29-draft-standard-of-perfection-revision-2 While you are there, poke around the Clubhouse website--you can find a very nice history section and lots more!

Last edited:
Sounds like you are off to a good start with your flock and its good to get opinions from multiple sources and do lots of research. Some folks seem to have lots of strong opinions and are very happy to share them with you, but its going to be your job of taking the good advice and pitching the rest.

Would you mind sharing which FB group had this discussion--there are several?

Calling Cream Legbars CCLs or Creasted Cream Legbars is one of my pet peeves, actually. They have never been officially called this, although GFF did initially label them that way when they first arrived (which is ironic since many of the first imports lacked a crest). When I see people call them by that name it tells me that they probably got in on the first wave and haven't bothered reading the SOP since (and that means they are not breeding to improve the Cream Legbars) or they got their birds from one of the aforementioned group and are passing on misinformation-- Here is a link to the draft standard (it will be updated in the next few months, so keep an eye out for that revision) http://www.creamlegbarclub.com/29-draft-standard-of-perfection-revision-2 While you are there, poke around the Clubhouse you can find a very nice history section and lots more!
Whoops - the clubhouse is only open to members of the Cream Legbar Club -- both full and associate. It really isn't public property - and I may need to change the security settings if it has become public land.

The clubhouse, the newsletter - and a few other privileges are for members only.... Why? because membership - has its privileges -- (wasn't that a tag line for a credit card company, kind of like -- 'priceless' was for master card. )

That being said - consider joining the Cream Legbar Club -- I bet that Dr. E meant poke around the website - (link in my sig) - and just wrote clubhouse.

have been hearing a lot of interesting things going on it the cyber world. - People who never saw or touched someone's bird telling them it should be culled, people advertising their Cream Legbars as show quality and have never ever taken one to a show, People saying they breed to standard and obviously have never looked at the standard. It's kind of like the days of the Wild West in Cream Legbar Land IMO.

For everyone - really consider the SOURCE -- did I say that 'consider the source'' Talk is so easy - results a bit harder. Seems like some folk think that nasty remarks are strength or some such nonsense.

It isn't Creme Legbar or Crested Cream Legbar -- although I had heard someplace that it was once called that. I had thought that there was someplace on eBay that was selling Creme because they wouldn't have to pay ANY attention to the SOP - that way. It is kind of crazy right now - I think perhaps there will be some sorting out going on in the not too distant future.

ETA - how many FB groups ARE there out there now? and who owns/runs them?

Last edited:
Hooray - and welcome to all things CL!!

It always is heart warming to hear about Cream Legbar love --
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom