Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Some deviation is acceptable I think but I wouldnt judge just yet they change so much. Floppy is worse than a little curve especially as they are growing into their comb and crest.
Tganks, these are two of my first three boys. The third came in the same group of eggs as my pullets so he will get to make Sapphires

Hopefully after hatching every egg i can from her this year and some eyes that arent color blind i can have a nice flock in few years!!!! Hard to breed towards a standard when your color blind. Will all the experience on this website i think i can do it.

That's interesting, re: color blindness and the roosters -
I wonder if you see the chestnut shoulders as black or gray?
How about the gold in the crest and saddle feathers?

Would it be accurate to say you see more monochromatic tones than specific colors?
If so, I think the way that would translate with the shoulders is they should have very small patches of dark areas, and the hackles and saddles should match each other in a lighter shade of gray. I think it might be difficult to differentiate the barring on the wings as to whether or not there is gold if everything tends to appear gray/brown.

The hens main visual would be high contrast between the hackle feathers and the body color; if they appear to be about the same shade of gray or brown or? then they are probably not cream.

Please keep posting =)

So my legbar rooster is not yet a year old and when he starts to breed my hens he drags wing tips and barely hops up on there back..... I cracked egg to see if fertile and they are not. Any thoughts.

So my legbar rooster is not yet a year old and when he starts to breed my hens he drags wing tips and barely hops up on there back..... I cracked egg to see if fertile and they are not. Any thoughts.
There could be several reasons why your eggs aren't fertile. If he is young, some of the older hens may not be letting him breed. It could just be lack of experience on his part or he may have a physical issue preventing him from mating properly.

I have a large Orpington cockerel that has a neurological problem and it causes him to lose his balance when mating. Thus, he sort of just slides off and never makes the proper contact. But it is also apparent when he is walking around too.

It is hard to diagnose when you can't see what is happening but I would probably give him more time.

New to cream legbars. Found this trio for $40. Suppose to be Jill Reese line. Any opinions and thoughts on colors?

:welcome
I pretty much have my mind made up that I'm getting them but just wanted to ask around about the colors because I've seen a lot of other pics out there and the roosters seem to have more color in them. What are most people expecting in color?

Looks to me like that trio could get you off to a good start.  Get them before someone else does!  

Back
Top Bottom