Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Hi, I have not been on or following this thread like I should have.

I was going to join the Legbar club, as I should have years ago, BUT I have some questions and cannot find any contact information on the website.

It is probably my error, But if someone could find contact info or if there is a board member here and they could send me a PM I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

I think GaryDean26 checked in with you.

Just to let all know, the next iteration of the Cream Legbar club website will go live in April. There will be club info, history, and member info including an easy way to join and contact other members. The site will be open to the general public as it always has.

While I'm here, just to thank @GaryDean26 and @ChicKat for the foundation they assembled, along with many others.

The spot will stay untill they get their first set of feathers on their heads, but you will never have a problem telling them apart. The males and females are distinctive throughout all phases of development.

This is a misleading statement based on the Cuckoo Marans I just got rd of, and 8 year old Cuckoo Maran will have laid 15 eggs in her life..........stinking freeloaders!

I did not imply that Cuckoo Marans were good layers, nor that Hungarian Yellow, or Dutch Bantams were good layers.

In fact, hens that lay through the winter their first two laying season and don't get a molt period to replace depleted nutrients are fatigued/stress to the point that their lifespan and years of productive laying is reduced. Commercial layer are breed for the maximum number of eggs they can get in 18 months of laying. The cost driver in commercial flocks is feed cost. On a homestead a family may have 6 hens. If they get 4-5 eggs a day that may meet all the needs of the family. They don't need 6 eggs every day and the surplus may just be fed back to the chickens to were the extra dozen and half eggs a week don't save or make the family any money. If the family doesn't have a 2nd coop and enclosed run they may not have a place to grow out new pullets every year so they may prefer a hens that will keep laying for 6 years at an average of 160 eggs a year than one that lays 320 eggs a year for 1-2 years. I am guessing you can find old lines of Leghorns breed for longevity that will produce and average of 180 eggs a year for 6-8 year and that you can find commercial leghorns that lay 300 eggs a year average for 1-2 years. This would be examples in the same breed with very different results. So it is not as much a breed thing and it is a breeding thing. There are good Cuckoo Marans that are very productive layers and their are junk Cuckoo Marans that are poor layers. The same could go for every breed if you can find people breeding in opposite direction for long enough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom