Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Pics
as you can see two shots of barring can give you very light birds, but in the case of these dutch birds, they lack autosomal red, which brown leghorns do carry.....

I think the very light almost silver looking cream legbars are Cream double barred missing autosomal red, this could explain their very pale look

guys if you have any genetic questions, just PM ok...
Beautiful, beautiful birds...and good clarification on the colors question. Wow.

I leave for a couple of hours and a whole bunch more pops up!

Where to begin?

1) I like the idea of the blue egg color background and both hen/roo but not the silhouette. This is a barred breed and we should have barring shown. We should also be careful with having something too closely resembling the logo of another club, particularly if their logo is copyrighted.

2) Thank you nicalandia! The pics are most helpful. I'm also raising Basques and can provide pictures here showing (in order) difference of heterozygous barring (one dose) and homozygous barring (two doses) with two of my roosters.

3) So if the wing bay is supposed to be cream, how do we end up with barring? Barring is the blocking of pigment on/off as feathers grow so wouldn't the wings all be cream? Which means this wing would be wrong (it may be wrong anyway.)

Last edited:
Just going to mark my spot. I would LOVE to get in on this journey with y'all. I just hatched some CLB's and it appears I'm starting with a trio. More eggs on the way, as I'm hatching all winter.

While I don't have specific CLB experience, I have a lot of poultry experience. If you're looking still for a web designer, I'll toss my hat in for that, as I have 12+ years experience in the field, along with digital graphics work. I sent my info to (someone) who at one point claimed responsibility for tracking members and people.

As far as working on-site here at BYC, you'll get the traffic, but the traffic may be counter-productive. When organizing and structuring a project, I've always found it best to do so in a lower traffic area where specifics can be addressed easily and concisely, then bring summaries and bullet points to the high traffic area.

I leave for a couple of hours and a whole bunch more pops up!

Where to begin?

1) I like the idea of the blue egg color background and both hen/roo but not the silhouette. This is a barred breed and we should have barring shown. We should also be careful with having something too closely resembling the logo of another club, particularly if their logo is copyrighted.

2) Thank you nicalandia! The pics are most helpful. I'm also raising Basques and can provide pictures here showing (in order) difference of heterozygous barring (one dose) and homozygous barring (two doses) with two of my roosters.

3) So if the wing bay is supposed to be cream, how do we end up with barring? Barring is the blocking of pigment on/off as feathers grow so wouldn't the wings all be cream? Which means this wing would be wrong (it may be wrong anyway.)

? what is making all white chicks pop up from line 1 to my understanding?

The way I see it there are several things that need to be accomplished and a to-do list would help. Volunteers can then figure out where they want help.

Here's a preliminary that I'm seeing develop:

1. Standard Committee
a. Confirm UK standard as accurate and current
b. Place UK Standard in APA Format
i Americanize/define descriptors like colors, etc.
ii Research and summarize history of breed
c. Draft APA formatted standard and submit to membership for comments period
d. Finalize an APA approvable draft standard incorporating consensus of members
e. Begin standardizing breeding with the goal of APA acceptance based on approved draft standard

2. Club Committee --- can't have a membership without a club
a. Mission statement
b. Bylaws
i officers
ii webmaster and website if there will be one
iii membership
(a) Voting
(b) benefits of membership
(c) newsletter?
(d) dues
-- what will dues support? Registry, website, forums?
c. Club name & logo
i copyright?
d. Legal status of Club if any - Non-profit education?

I can help with club related stuff.
Also, I like this 'to do list approach'

I would like to work with you on the part 2 stuff, as I think Redchicken, GaryDean and quite a few others have the part 1 well under way/under control and everyone is doing a fabulous job.

Regarding non-profit.... It would mean being a 501(c)3 if I am correctly remembering the IRS codes....and probably a poultry club would never be a blip on the IRS radar, or ever handle enough revenue to need to pay taxes IMO. Attaining 501(c)3 status is a pretty complex thing from what I hear.... others may have a different view...any one??.

WOW, I can not believe all the posts. Nicalandia and others, I'm going to have to take awhile to process all of what you sent. I should go out more often and chase around goats, while my husband's friend gets a stuck John Deere 410 backhoe out of the pond! Lot's of photos and information. I think my head is bursting!

Cool logo Blackbirds13! I like the type you choose. The idea of blue to reflect the egg color is good, but I really like a bright British blue like in the British flag. If we keep the UK standards or want to indicate this relationship we might consider the British flag. I think of the cream legbar as the British blue egg layer (to differentiate it from others). I might be moving towards bulky, but what does a rectangle with the male and female and a chick or two look like? Is there a lettering that says British without seeming Shakespearean? Also great logo ChicKat.

ChicKat your roo looks better to me all the time! I do see white in your primaries (hmm), but the body color looks a lot like Text-fig.2. Legbar cockerel. The barring on the tail differs. Punnett's main sickles are barred. I also really don't see the color creep in the Punnett's saddle feathers, but it is a black and white photo. Punnett specifically mentions the pale gold of the hackles and bright chestnut of the wing coverts.

Flaming Chicken, Norbert looks pretty good too. Can we see a few more photos of him, perhaps one that shows his wings out? How do the UK standards read to you? Where do you see differences, any comments on the language for the males?

My lightest roo had red earlobes, how hard is that to change? He's with a friend of a friend now, but I have offspring! Phage, you have a large collection of upcoming males. Hope you grow them all out.

Yes, we'll have to discuss UK vs. US on how look we may differ, but also what were the original birds like. Wonder if someone can lead us to early black and white plates. How about early color show winners or color paintings? How can we connect with UK cream legbar affectionados?

I lean towards trying to improve or breed towards cream as it seems the UK standard and name emphasize this.
Tomorrow, the gals are up.

Last edited:

thats a nice contrast pics, showing the dilution effect of double barred birds...

well its Autosomal Red enhancing the shoulders, birds with cream shoulders should lack autosomal red...

Fron the "Standard"

"Back and shoulders cream with dark grey barring, some chestnut permissible"

what is making all white chicks pop up from line 1 to my understanding?
Basque breed are based on wheaten, which is almost impossible chick down to sex at hatch... if they were based on eb or e+ they would be an autosexable breed just like legbars

Just going to mark my spot. I would LOVE to get in on this journey with y'all. I just hatched some CLB's and it appears I'm starting with a trio. More eggs on the way, as I'm hatching all winter.

While I don't have specific CLB experience, I have a lot of poultry experience. If you're looking still for a web designer, I'll toss my hat in for that, as I have 12+ years experience in the field, along with digital graphics work. I sent my info to (someone) who at one point claimed responsibility for tracking members and people.

As far as working on-site here at BYC, you'll get the traffic, but the traffic may be counter-productive. When organizing and structuring a project, I've always found it best to do so in a lower traffic area where specifics can be addressed easily and concisely, then bring summaries and bullet points to the high traffic area.

Welcome, glad to have you, I am the one you messaged, anyone else who missed the post send your info to me: name, address, phone, email, stock source and quantity (if you have them), and what ways/talents you have that would help us get things going.

MnM, I'm sure we can use your web designer expertise, I'll let others weigh in on how and when but we certainly do need someone who can get us started on that!

Very nice Blackbirds13, I just saw this.

ETA - does anyone else have this typeface for a poultry club? It looks somehow familiar....

BTW. there is some cream legbar art out there by an artist named Diane Jacky... I think. There is a plate with a female and male cream legbar and the plate has a light blue background. There are also mouse pads and T-shirts. Let's see if I can find a link.... http://www.zazzle.com/cream_legbar_chickens_plate-115460731560556806

I tried to choose something that was 'familiar' to start. Like I said I'm an artist and do and teach Graphic Design. This was just a starting point as I am sure many others have great ideas. I draw really well - really well - so if we needed something original I could do that but I don't think we should use the images of the plate as that would be infringement. I could redraw Punnetts as those are past the copyright date or if we had an agreed upon photo I could also use that and it could be done in black ink and digitized any way we wanted.

Back
Top Bottom