Cream Legbars

All cockerels
Apart from the combs, is it the barring that defines them as cockerels? The hens having more of a duck wing colour?
then I am surprised they don’t have any obvious cockerel feathering....though the middle might be suspect. I know the cockerels normally tend to be barred and the hens more of a duck wing colour but .......as I am forever the optimist and not a legbar expert I’d be cautious culling yettheybmay be precocious pullets ( yeah I know very precocious) :) but would be interested learning if the plumage colour can dictate the sex from one of the legbar experts, they don’t have much wattle going on either for cockerels ( apart from the middle one) , someone explain why I shouldn’t be an optimist for you:) I like a quiz;-)

Apart from the combs, is it the barring that defines them as cockerels? The hens having more of a duck wing colour?

then I am surprised they don’t have any obvious cockerel feathering....though the middle might be suspect. I know the cockerels normally tend to be barred and the hens more of a duck wing colour but .......as I am forever the optimist and not a legbar expert I’d be cautious culling yettheybmay be precocious pullets ( yeah I know very precocious) :) but would be interested learning if the plumage colour can dictate the sex from one of the legbar experts, they don’t have much wattle going on either for cockerels ( apart from the middle one) , someone explain why I shouldn’t be an optimist for you:) I like a quiz;-)
Legbar pullets have one barring gene and males have two so the barring is more apparent. It’s what makes them auto sexing. At hatch males are much lighter in color, have a big yellow dot on the top of their heads, and blurry chipmunk strips. Here is a picture of one of my girls who is hatchery quality for comparison.

Attachments

• 41B6013C-F391-4628-9AFF-7EC53F51E00F.jpeg
    41B6013C-F391-4628-9AFF-7EC53F51E00F.jpeg
    660.7 KB · Views: 18
  • C8D1207C-EB7D-4328-8262-A20689B2972C.jpeg
    C8D1207C-EB7D-4328-8262-A20689B2972C.jpeg
    572.6 KB · Views: 17
If they were sold to you as hens you were flat out lied to.
I know when I bought mine they were sold as straight run which was crazy to me. I had to specifically request ones with no dot on their head and the employee asked if I just didn’t like the look of the dot :th:lau I know other people walked away with a bunch of boys not knowing any better so maybe that’s what happened here??

If they were legit sold as hens though I would definitely be going back to where they were bought.

I know when I bought mine they were sold as straight run which was crazy to me. I had to specifically request ones with no dot on their head and the employee asked if I just didn’t like the look of the dot :th:lau I know other people walked away with a bunch of boys not knowing any better so maybe that’s what happened here??

If they were legit sold as hens though I would definitely be going back to where they were bought.

Oh my gosh...too funny...but so true. :gig

I once had the OWNER of a feed store tell me to my face that Red Sex Links were not sexable by their down color. He put his RSL chicks in with Production Red chicks since it didn't matter. He just argued with me when I told him he was doing a disservice to his customers.

Oh well...sometimes you just can't help dumb. :he

And yes, those are all male Cream Legbars, and not particularly well bred. (Hatchery quality?)
LofMc

Legbar pullets have one barring gene and males have two so the barring is more apparent. It’s what makes them auto sexing. At hatch males are much lighter in color, have a big yellow dot on the top of their heads, and blurry chipmunk strips. Here is a picture of one of my girls who is hatchery quality for comparison.
Well that sorts that query! Thanks for the explanation from this end too, great with the picture comparison. oh dear the naughty seller! Yep you need your money back!

Back
Top Bottom