Cream Legbars

@duluthralphie I snapped a better picture of him a bit more relaxed (as best as I could) and not all tensed up like the first picture. Don't know if this is a better shot of the actual angle of his tail.
View attachment 1155870
He looks way better in this picture.

The hackles and saddle feathers are a better match than I first thought. He appears to be a wide body. I like that. Still could use a little more length. Try mating him to hens with nearly flat tails. The angle is still high but no longer squirrel looking.

This ear lobe is perfect in shape and color, IMHO.

Some people (looking@Bantambird) do not like the white tail feather. I do not mind them if they show barring. This one seems too. Keel and breast is a tad flat, but to be expected on a cockerel of this age. Overall a good bird.

@duluthralphie I snapped a better picture of him a bit more relaxed (as best as I could) and not all tensed up like the first picture. Don't know if this is a better shot of the actual angle of his tail.
View attachment 1155870
I have to say it's true that I don't like the white main tail feathers, so Ralphie got me there, but he does look way better in this picture than in the others posted. Given the right ladies, this guy could be an asset. His comb is a bit floppy, but that's one of the hardest things with cream Legbars, and isn't a real sticking point for any male unless the front of the comb flops too.

Thanks! I still have to look for some hens for him. Hopefully I can get some next year, as it's a little late in the year for me to find any. I will keep these points in mind, when I breed him next year.

I agree with everything Bantambird says. The crest is a little dark. The black crests were discussed at the last board meeting. I am guessing that hen could give you good Crele or cream chicks, depending on the rooster. I like the body type.
Thank you so much for your import. I love reading the posts on this thread. I will post pics of my others when they are a little older if I think they are somewhat on the right track. I really need to study the SOP some more.

Ralphie, can i ask the difference between the USA standard against the U.K. Standard please.

Will help me join in with this thread a bit more.

I have to be honest and tell you I do not know.
Here is the proposed SOP:

I am sure :)fl) and hope we have a few changes. This is for the Cream, The legbar club has proposed SOP's for whites and Creole/Gold also. The first hurdle is getting the Cream's accepted. Are the whites accepted in the UK.

Disqualifications
Absence of crest. (See General Disqualifications and Cutting for Defects.)

Standard Weights
Cock…………………………7 lbs. Hens……………………..…..5 1/2 lbs.

Cockerel……………………..6 lbs. Pullet………………………..4 1/2 lbs.

Shape—Male
Comb: Single; large, fine in texture, straight and upright, deeply and evenly serrated with six distinct points, extending well over the back of the head and following, without touching, the line of the head, free from side sprigs, thumb-marks or twists.

Beak: Stout, point clear of the front of the comb, slightly curved.

Face: Smooth, skin fine in texture.

Eyes: Large, bright, and prominent. Round in appearance.

Wattles: Moderately long, thin, uniform in size, well rounded, free from folds or wrinkles. Skin soft.

Ear-lobes: Large, elongated oval, pendant, smooth and free from folds, equally matched in size and shape.

Crest: Small, well back from the eyes with narrow feathers falling off the back of the head to below the blade of the comb.

Head: Medium size, symmetrical, well balanced, and of fine quality.

Neck: Long and well covered with hackle feathers.

Back: Moderately broad at the shoulders, narrowing slightly toward the tail, long in length, flat, sloping slightly to the tail.

Saddle feathers—Abundant, long, and filling well in front of the tail.

Tail: Moderately full, carried at an angle of forty-five degrees above horizontal.

Main tail—feathers broad and overlapping.

Sickles—long and well curved.

Lesser Sickles and Coverts—long, of good width, nicely curved and abundant.

Wings: Large and carried close to the body without dropping.

Breast: Prominent, well-rounded, carried forward and upright.

Body and Fluff: Body—moderately long, sloping to the tail, broad in front tapering slightly to the rear. Keel is of good length, following the line of the back. Feathers moderately long and close to the body.

Fluff—medium in length, moderately full.

Legs and Toes: Legs–moderately long, straight when viewed from the front. Thighs are medium length. Shanks round, strong, and free from feathers.

Toes—four, long, straight, and well-spread.

Shape—Female
Comb: Single; large, fine in texture, erect or first point to stand erect and the remainder of the comb dropping gracefully to the side without obscuring the eyes, deeply and evenly serrated having six distinct points.

Beak: Stout, point clear of the front of the comb, slightly curved.

Face: Smooth, skin fine in texture.

Eyes: Large, bright, and prominent. Round in appearance.

Wattles: Medium in length, thin, uniform in size, well-rounded, free from folds or wrinkles. Skin soft.

Ear-lobes: Medium, elongated oval, pendant, smooth and free from folds, equally matched in size and shape.

Crest: Medium, rising well in front so as not to obstruct the eyes, with feathers narrow and falling off the back of the head to below the blade of the comb.

Head: Medium size, symmetrical, well balanced, and of fine quality.

Neck: Long and well covered with hackle feathers.

Back: Moderately broad at the shoulders, long, with an even slope to the tail. Feathers moderately broad and of sufficient length to carry well up to tail.

Tail: Moderately long, carried at an angle of thirty-five degrees above horizontal.

Main tail—feathers broad and overlapping.

Coverts—broad and abundant, extending well onto main tail.

Wings: Large and carried close to the body without dropping.

Breast: Prominent, well-rounded, carried forward and upright.

Body and Fluff: Body—moderately long, sloping to the tail, broad in front tapering slightly to the rear. Keel is of good length, following the line of the back. Feathers moderately long and close to the body.

Fluff—medium in length, moderately full.

Legs and Toes: Legs– moderately long, straight when viewed from the front. Thighs are medium length. Shanks round, strong, and free from feathers.

Toes—four, long, straight, and well-spread.

Color—Male
Comb, Face and Wattles: Bright Red.

Beak: Yellow.

Eyes: Reddish bay.

Ear-lobes: Enamel white. For Cocks over one year of age only, no defect cuts for red covering up to one-third of the surface.

Head: Plumage, cream and gray.

Crest: Cream and gray, some chestnut permissible.

Neck: Hackle—cream, sparsely barred with gray.

Shoulder—cream, barred with dark gray, some chestnut permissible.

Front of neck—same as breast.

Wings: Fronts and Bows—dark gray, faintly barred, some chestnut permissible.

Coverts—gray, barred, tipped in cream.

Primaries—dark gray, faintly barred, small amounts of white permissible.

Secondaries—dark gray, sparsely barred with gray intermixed with cream, some white permissible.

Back: Cream, barred with dark gray, some chestnut permissible.

Saddle—cream, barred with dark gray, edged in cream.

Tail: Main Tail—gray, evenly barred.

Sickle and Coverts—light gray, barred, some white feathers permissible.

Breast: Dark gray, evenly barred, well defined outline.

Legs and Toes: Yellow.

Under-Color of All Sections: Silver-gray.

Color—Female
Comb, Face, and Wattles: Bright red.

Beak: Yellow.

Eyes: Reddish bay.

Ear-lobes: Enamel white.

Head: Plumage, cream and gray.

Crest: Cream and gray, some chestnut permissible.

Neck: Hackle—cream, softly barred gray.

Front of neck—salmon.

Wings: Fronts, Bows and Coverts—silver-gray, faintly barred.

Primaries— gray, very faintly barred.

Secondaries— gray, faintly barred, the outer web stippled with lighter gray and cream.

Back: Gray, softly barred, feathers having a lighter shaft permissible.

Tail: Main Tail and Coverts—silver-gray, faintly barred.

Breast: Salmon, well defined in outline, some feathers having a slightly lighter shaft permissible.

Body and Fluff: Silver-gray, indistinctly barred.

Legs and Toes: Yellow.

Under-Color of All Sections: Silver-gray.

No whites over here buddy and to be honest there isn't that many CLB.

I don't show my birds but try to breed as close to the standard as I can, so no expert.
The standards are very similar to be honest, some small differences but not much.

IMG_3179.JPG
Yea! Didn't find this thread on search. Disclaimer: newbie that bought farm store chicks last year. This year decided to dive in more and made plans to add to coop and run for breeding my own. Got my first cream legbar from a breeder (and 2 french blue copper marans). Here is Penelope 14 weeks. Feedback appreciated! Let me know if I need to take more specific pics. She's not easy. Little roadrunner. This pic makes her look darker than she is. View attachment 1161279

View attachment 1161280 Yea! Didn't find this thread on search. Disclaimer: newbie that bought farm store chicks last year. This year decided to dive in more and made plans to add to coop and run for breeding my own. Got my first cream legbar from a breeder (and 2 french blue copper marans). Here is Penelope 14 weeks. Feedback appreciated! Let me know if I need to take more specific pics. She's not easy. Little roadrunner. This pic makes her look darker than she is. View attachment 1161279

There is a lot to like on her. It seems the first ones everyone gets are road runners the subsequent generations are more mellow...LOL

Back
Top Bottom