Cream Legbars

Finally got some pictures today!

Pretty cream girl #1 with FANTASTIC crest- but rather dark.

Even prettier cream girl with lost of light coloring!

GaryDean26, this is the last survivor from your eggs- she is a lighter gold but still gold. Do you think she has at least one cream parent given your flock genetics?

Channing, my next boy I am growing out- although he hatched rather dark he was 100% gray with no chestnut or brown cast to him. We will see what happens!

Here he is with his sister Cleopatra

This is a pic of one of them. He is beautiful but hard to catch a pic of. I'll try again tomorrow if you are interested. I do not know which greenfire line he came from.

Thanks for the construction insights Steen. I was thinking a roll of 3-foot hardware cloth as a flat skirting around the outer edges, attached with hog clips to the upright fencing of the run, and they put 1-foot square cement blocks in enough places that would weigh it flat and make it difficult for predator to lift. Maybe cattle panels would go faster and would be flatter than roll of Hw cloth.

I have an "apron" of hardware cloth about 1 foot to 18inches out from the base of my runs to prevent digging.

Additional question: is there a barrier below ground as well? If so, how did you construct it?

Thanks for the construction insights Steen. I was thinking a roll of 3-foot hardware cloth as a flat skirting around the outer edges, attached with hog clips to the upright fencing of the run, and they put 1-foot square cement blocks in enough places that would weigh it flat and make it difficult for predator to lift. Maybe cattle panels would go faster and would be flatter than roll of Hw cloth.

the front of the run and right side i used the last of my horse fence. the rest is cattle panels. The dirt washed over the front due to major rain storm but you can see how i used the logs i had available. In most places they don't have the room to dig their back feet will be backing up into logs, rocks, or cactus. Four feet out i don't think any dog would think to start digging that far away. I think their instincts would naturally get them caught up running right next to the pen and never figure it out. on the front where i used horse fence i bent up 8 inches right by the pens fence its tied to the pen panels but also those 2x6 boards press it up against the pen there is no way it can be pulled away from the pen by the digging motion. that is also the reason i used heavy stuff on the outside. Not just to keep it laying flat, but so that digging motion cant pull it back and away from the pen. I hope the hog clips are strong enough Chickat ive never seen or used them.

Last edited:
GaryDean26, this is the last survivor from your eggs- she is a lighter gold but still gold. Do you think she has at least one cream parent given your flock genetics?

This pullet's long neck, narrow body, low tail, and small crest would make me guess she is from "Lacy's" line. There were "Lacy pullets with both "Ice" and "Lium" at the time you got eggs. about 1/4 of the Lacy pullets were cream, but we had both gold and cream Lacy pullets in the flock so the chances of this pullet carrying cream are about 50%.

When I put up my pen I spent hours with a pickaxe and shovel digging through hard clay packed with jagged rocks both large and small. I managed an 8-10" deep trench around a 25'x25' pen, and stapled the hardware cloth underground to slab Cedar planks. I figured if it took me several days to dig a trench that deep no predator would spend more time than that digging, plus 12" deep would have taken another couple days. My neighbor drilled the fencepost holes for me with his tractor and posthole auger, and it took several sheer pins for each hole dug due to the size and number of rocks. However, I now have a totally dig-proof pen. (Actually 2 - I added on an additional pen a year later (thanks to Chicken Math), but this time dug the trench with a backhoe on my tractor.)

Back
Top Bottom