Cream Legbars

thank you. Although I'm sure they're pretty, too hard for me to tell. I'll look through the pics to see if anyone has posted recessive white males. Need to know what they look like for the future
smile.png

more pullet pics, if helpful

"Celeste" rec. white pullet on left w/typical CL sisters

Celeste at 8 weeks

Been reading through the thread since my last post and y'all have ben up to some great work and good discussions. I kept 2 Rees pullets and they have been laying for a bit now but the egg color for one is a definite green. I only have the 2 Rees and 3 Marans, a Bresse and my first Legbar ever but shes gold. Miss the birds so will restart this spring but still deciding between the Legbars and Marans. What is the consensus on the Rees birds if there is any? How do they compare to whats already here? Thanks.

Been reading through the thread since my last post and y'all have ben up to some great work and good discussions. I kept 2 Rees pullets and they have been laying for a bit now but the egg color for one is a definite green. I only have the 2 Rees and 3 Marans, a Bresse and my first Legbar ever but shes gold. Miss the birds so will restart this spring but still deciding between the Legbars and Marans. What is the consensus on the Rees birds if there is any? How do they compare to whats already here? Thanks.
wow, good to see you again, welcome back!
frow.gif

Welcome back Maria, we all have missed you tremendously. I hope your you are enjoying your art and your family.

My opinion on the Rees vs the CL already here in the states, is that the Rees line is not up to par, mainly the males. We are finding the at the moment that our existing males that are being worked on are jumping leaps and bounds towards the standard, in type, color, even the combs seem better, also the size/weight of our males are great in my opinion. The Rees males (not all mind you, but many we have seen) are way off they are what I might call scrawnier, they have more of an upright stance, low wing carriage small combs but they flop over. Also the barring on the Rees males is very messy, not crisp like some of the males from previous lines we see. Again this is just my opinion, but I do prefer the other line males over the Rees males.

For the females, they are nice from what I have seen. They are pretty similar in type, color, crest, comb etc. as our other line females, They seem to share similarities and faults. I don't have anything negative to really say about the females, Though we haven't seen many pics posted and I only have 2 that I can compare to. I do agree that they are laying more on the greener side. Both my JR pullets are laying eggs the exact shade as my Easter Egger.

I often wonder if its possible that Jill Rees has a pullet line and not a male line. Meaning many of her pullets produced are better than her males overall.

This is a pic of my male compared to my Rees male. These are my most current pics of both my males

My male

Rees trio

Rees male (not a great angle but you get the idea)

Not everyone shares this opinion or experience with the males but it seems a lot of people have noted the same things about the differences in the males.

Oh and please excuse the frostbite
sad.png

Last edited:
Anyone have a pullet develop a large comb at 3 weeks? One of my chicks that was colored like a female has a comb just as large as my cockerel...now I'm I'm worried I have a cockerel that masqueraded as a pullet.

I had one pullet that developed a comb quite fast, it wasn't cockerel huge, but larger than my average pullets at that age.

Here she is at about 4 weeks old.

Do you have a pic that you could post of your pullet?

The top chick looks like a cockerel.

Do you have pics when it was a day old? And also now at this age standing on its own?

Did you hatch these from your own stock or buy hatching eggs or chicks?

If all goes well my hatch is heading into the final stretch. The lady doing the hatching stated that 11 of the 18 were developing at last look. She had someone watching the incubator while she took a long weekend to visit her father and she returns today. I have not heard anything as of yet but am hopeful to end up with at least 9 from the lot. (50% for shipped eggs would be good)
Hoping to get a male I can use as to start with. It will be exciting to have chicks again. I will probably also raise some pita pinta chicks with them. And will be trying to bring some Barred Hollands out west by getting a few breeders to ship me hatching eggs. I have 3 offers at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom