Cream Legbars

I agree with you points however the definition of cull is kill, lol

If you are not interested in breeding you can keep him, you can re home him, I do agree with chicken pickin, if you do resell advertise as a mixed breed
smile.png
It doesn't just mean to kill, it also means to remove
cull

(kŭl)
tr.v. culled, cull·ing, culls
To pick out from others; select.
2. To gather; collect.
3. To remove rejected members or parts from (a herd, for example).
n.
Something picked out from others, especially something rejected because of inferior quality.

cull

[kuhl] /kʌl/
IPASyllables
  • Synonyms
  • Examples
  • Word Origin
verb (used with object)
to choose; select; pick.
to gather the choice things or parts from.
to collect; gather; pluck.
noun
act of culling.
something culled, especially something picked out and put aside as inferior.

cull

(kŭl) tr.v. culled, cull·ing, culls 1. To pick out from others; select. 2. To gather; collect. 3. To remove rejected members or parts from (a herd, for example). n. Something picked out from others, especially something rejected because of inferior quality.

cull

[kuhl] /kʌl/ IPASyllables verb (used with object) 1. to choose; select; pick. 2. to gather the choice things or parts from. 3. to collect; gather; pluck. noun 4. act of culling. 5. something culled, especially something picked out and put aside as inferior.
How does to Select mean to remove?

cull

(kŭl)
tr.v. culled, cull·ing, culls
To pick out from others; select.
2. To gather; collect.
3. To remove rejected members or parts from (a herd, for example).
n.
Something picked out from others, especially something rejected because of inferior quality.

cull

[kuhl] /kʌl/
IPASyllables
  • Synonyms
  • Examples
  • Word Origin
verb (used with object)
to choose; select; pick.
to gather the choice things or parts from.
to collect; gather; pluck.
noun
act of culling.
something culled, especially something picked out and put aside as inferior.

How does to Select mean to remove?
I highlighted in red above, when I read something like that, to me it also can mean to remove, it is just how I interpret it. It doesn't matter either way im not trying to be picky. I just know when poultry people say to cull they don't always mean to kill but often to remove from the flock.

I highlighted in red above, when I read something like that, to me it also can mean to remove, it is just how I interpret it. It doesn't matter either way im not trying to be picky. I just know when poultry people say to cull they don't always mean to kill but often to remove from the flock.
or at least remove from the breeding stock.

Does someone have a good reference about breeding programs. I'm really interested in starting out right and have some time on my side for this.

From what I have read so far it would be ideal to have at least 2 unrelated (or at least distantly related) groups of birds that would provide for good genetic diversity. And that periodic introduction of quality unrelated stock is needed. My questions revolve around the basics of breeding how often should you introduce new stock.

How does out crossing work?

I've read about breeding daughters to father and sons to mothers, what comes next.

Im attempting to build my initial pool of birds like this

I have 1 pullet and want to get as many as 3 more unrelated birds of her same age.
I have chicks hatching now and want to take the best boy and breed to those pullets next year.
I want to acquire a cockerel/young roo next year to breed to those hatched pullets.

Does that sound reasonable.

The hatching eggs are a big unknown now as I haven't been able to get pics of the supposed parent birds yet.

Everyone has to start somewhere right?

Does someone have a good reference about breeding programs. I'm really interested in starting out right and have some time on my side for this.
If you have time, there are tons of books and breeding info in this thread! :D

From what I have read so far it would be ideal to have at least 2 unrelated (or at least distantly related) groups of birds that would provide for good genetic diversity. And that periodic introduction of quality unrelated stock is needed. My questions revolve around the basics of breeding how often should you introduce new stock.
This will depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Crossing strains will give you viability, but you will also encounter all the little bad recessives that have been repressed in a strain. So plan on about 5 generations before your strain is any good. Some breeders recommend starting with an uncle and niece or likewise pairing from a great strain to start. Others recommend varying lines with a rooster from one line crossing to the next each year. Over time the bad things are eliminated and your flock develops a nice smooth look of your strain.

How does out crossing work?
Cross your bird to another breed??? If you're talking about the Pease new blood plan, you cross your CL rooster to brown Leghorn hens. Keep the pullet offspring and breed them back to CL roosters. Cull all cockerel offspring from the first cross. If you're talking about bringing in a new bird from another strain, breed them to your best bird, then use their offspring in your breeding plan.

I've read about breeding  daughters to father and sons to mothers, what comes next.
There are a lot of ways to do this. If you are trying to create separate lines, you could breed grand daughter to uncle or grandfather and grandson to aunt or grandmother.
Im attempting to build my initial pool of birds like this

I have 1 pullet and want to get as many as 3 more unrelated birds of her same age.
I have chicks hatching now and want to take the best boy and breed to those pullets next year.
I want to acquire a cockerel/young roo next year to breed to those hatched pullets.
Best wishes with your breeding!

Does  that sound reasonable.

The hatching eggs are a big unknown now as I haven't been able to get pics of the supposed parent birds yet.

Everyone has to start somewhere right?

Good news! While I was out of town, my dad took care of my chickens. I got home and another Jill Rees pullet is laying and the egg is the bluest one so far! I hope she keeps up laying blue! Excited!!! It's strange to me how some of them had already started laying weeks before others, but this egg was well worth the wait!

Last edited:
On a similar note, where did everyone get their OAC charts? I'm looking for a reliable, but inexpensive one. Any suggestions? I know this egg is much "bluer" than others, but I can't classify how much "bluer".

Back
Top Bottom