Cream Legbars

Earlier this week I discovered one of my Cream Legbar pullets was actually a cockerel. The guy I bought them from gave me another pullet (1 week old) and admitted that this isn't the first time this has happened and is concerned that he might have a problem with his autosexing and gave me 2 additional chicks for free that he though could be pullets but is concerned they're cockerels. He asked for an update when I knew if they were actually cockerels or pullets. What are you guesses?

Chick #1 side view/ top view

Chick #2 side/top view

Chick #3 side/top view

Chicks all have have pale dots and chipmunk strips...but #2 has more divined barring on head and eyes. My guess is that #1 and #3 are actually cockerels. How can he get better autosexing, isolating hens until he finds which one is laying the confusing chicks?

Welcome back Maria, we all have missed you tremendously. I hope your you are enjoying your art and your family. My opinion on the Rees vs the CL already here in the states, is that the Rees line is not up to par, mainly the males. We are finding the at the moment that our existing males that are being worked on are jumping leaps and bounds towards the standard, in type, color, even the combs seem better, also the size/weight of our males are great in my opinion. The Rees males (not all mind you, but many we have seen) are way off they are what I might call scrawnier, they have more of an upright stance, low wing carriage small combs but they flop over. Also the barring on the Rees males is very messy, not crisp like some of the males from previous lines we see. Again this is just my opinion, but I do prefer the other line males over the Rees males. For the females, they are nice from what I have seen. They are pretty similar in type, color, crest, comb etc. as our other line females, They seem to share similarities and faults. I don't have anything negative to really say about the females, Though we haven't seen many pics posted and I only have 2 that I can compare to. I do agree that they are laying more on the greener side. Both my JR pullets are laying eggs the exact shade as my Easter Egger. I often wonder if its possible that Jill Rees has a pullet line and not a male line. Meaning many of her pullets produced are better than her males overall. This is a pic of my male compared to my Rees male. These are my most current pics of both my males My male Rees trio Rees male (not a great angle but you get the idea) Not everyone shares this opinion or experience with the males but it seems a lot of people have noted the same things about the differences in the males. Oh and please excuse the frostbite:(
Do you sell eggs or chicks? I like ur boy

Earlier this week I discovered one of my Cream Legbar pullets was actually a cockerel. The guy I bought them from gave me another pullet (1 week old) and admitted that this isn't the first time this has happened and is concerned that he might have a problem with his autosexing and gave me 2 additional chicks for free that he though could be pullets but is concerned they're cockerels. He asked for an update when I knew if they were actually cockerels or pullets. What are you guesses?

Chick #1 side view/ top view

Chick #2 side/top view

Chick #3 side/top view

Chicks all have have pale dots and chipmunk strips...but #2 has more divined barring on head and eyes. My guess is that #1 and #3 are actually cockerels. How can he get better autosexing, isolating hens until he finds which one is laying the confusing chicks?
Hmmm if he is noticing a problem sexing his chicks, he should not be selling them. It would be wise of him to find out which bird or birds are producing the unsexable chicks and remove them from his breeding stock. If he cant pin point it, it would be even better if he found ne stock.

I agree chicks 1 and 3 have a less defined head V and eyeliner. Only time will tell. Please post more pics as they age.

Hmmm if he is noticing a problem sexing his chicks, he should not be selling them. It would be wise of him to find out which bird or birds are producing the unsexable chicks and remove them from his breeding stock. If he cant pin point it, it would be even better if he found ne stock.

I agree chicks 1 and 3 have a less defined head V and eyeliner. Only time will tell. Please post more pics as they age.
I agree, he shouldn't be selling any more until he's figured out what's going on. It did sound like he's concerned enough to do so and did mention buying an entire new flock. Do you think I can still use the pullet as breeding stock? The other girls I got from him before are perfect!!! I'll keep posting pics as these three grow!

First egg from one of our Rees girls yesterday - I would consider it blue but it's a very pale blue. Not saturated at all. It's a good size for a pullet egg - probably as large as the second ear layer I kept. I'm a little disappointed but egg color isn't my top priority right now. She is a pretty girl though!

First egg from one of our Rees girls yesterday - I would consider it blue but it's a very pale blue. Not saturated at all. It's a good size for a pullet egg - probably as large as the second ear layer I kept. I'm a little disappointed but egg color isn't my top priority right now. She is a pretty girl though!

Congrats on the first egg! And so nice to hear it is on the bluer side.

One of my older hens started back laying again yesterday after taking her winter break. I cant wait to start collecting eggs from her to incubate.

Goy myself into the Cream Legbar game last night! I picked up two hens, a roo, Sean Thor, and a cockerel. Not sure about his age. The pictures aren't great because it was late when I got home last night. Should be able to get some better pictures this weekend. I'm hoping the roo isn't too noisy...my neighbors don't mind the chickens, but I don't want to alert the entire neighborhood!

Goy myself into the Cream Legbar game last night! I picked up two hens, a roo, Sean Thor, and a cockerel. Not sure about his age. The pictures aren't great because it was late when I got home last night. Should be able to get some better pictures this weekend. I'm hoping the roo isn't too noisy...my neighbors don't mind the chickens, but I don't want to alert the entire neighborhood!

Welcome to the fun!
clap.gif

I know this isn't really linked but oh Well!

My Araucana Selma at the grand age of 44 weeks, finally quit the holding out club and laid a beautiful turquoise egg, it's so beautiful, as we all know blue eggs as hard to photograph and this photo doesn't do it justice - it looks green rather than turquoise. I'm sooo happy :D Now peggy needs to quit the club too.
:weee :yesss: :ya

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom