Cream Legbars

Cream Legbar eggs that were posted on the UK Cream Legbar FB page.

Walt

Wow! That is an amazing blue!

Quote: Even though I have Rees birds, I agree with this for the most part. I had to cull about 70% of my Rees birds due to coloration or body type issues. Thankfully, with that much culling, I can proudly say my generation two looks much better. But, I'm still working on them. The Rees birds take some extra culling to get better and better birds each generation. That's for sure. Generation two was focused on improving body type.

For some comparison, I went from these examples of the first generation:

Generation one rooster (below):

and this generation one hen:

To my second generation which really improved on body type. Here are some examples of second generation:

My main generation two cockerel (6 months old in picture below):

An example of my generation two pullet (6 months old in picture):

I still have a lot of work to do and still had to cull hard in my second generation, but I only culled about 30% of the second generation compared to 70% first generation. Each generation I work with them, it seems I make some progress and have a little bit less work to do. If someone gets Rees birds, I do agree with you that they have their work cut out for them. But, if you're willing to put in the work and cull hard, in my opinion, they're worth it. As a reference, I've had all lines of birds from A, B, and C to Rees. My problem with the other lines was that I had the hardest time getting cream from my matings and their crests were less consistent (some had nice crests while others had virtually no crest). It would have taken me many more generations to get where I am now. But, I started with 28 Rees birds and was able to cull hard to get where I am now. I do have about 6 pullets that are 1/2 Rees and 1/2 Line C (from my best Line C hen that I had). I'm eager to see how they grow out alongside the Rees birds.

I am not sure about these amazing blue eggs.
No doubt they are blue but look at the color of the hand compared with Fire Ant Farm's hand holding an egg. The hand on FB also has a blue hue, as is the background.
IMO this is photoshopped. Just my opinion though based on what I see.

Originally Posted by fowlman01

Cream Legbar eggs that were posted on the UK Cream Legbar FB page.

Walt

Originally Posted by Fire Ant Farm

My Jenny was late in starting to lay, but has really made up for it. Her eggs are bluer than those of the other girls, and they are now the biggest. She gave me this big pretty light blue egg today, 57 grams (just over 2 ounces). Good girl!

Last edited:

Still pretty though.

Interesting - looks more realistic in this photo than the one originally posted. Just goes to show that blues can be distorted - maybe it wasn't intentionally altered/photoshopped, but still not quite real looking. Some cameras alter color balance I suppose. I try to take my photos in the sunlight.

Benefits of using the color matching/names... (Gotta go find that app)

- Ant Farm

I just grabbed it and touched 'edit' on my phone. I don't know either way, but I've seen eggs the shade my phone made them. Never quite teal though. The eggs do look in low evening light and that probably doesn't help.

I have seen some pretty blue eggs in the USA too. Here is the photo of my first pullet egg in 2012. We have had some eggs that get really light as the hen gets further into her laying cycle. 50% of last years pullets fell into that catagory. We cull all the cockerels from the hens that had egg color lighten. We will see how things go. For the most part we are pretty happy with the egg color. We get some with a glossy finish and they seem to always have better color than the ones with a matte finish. We are getting a large majority of our eggs with the matte finish though. Egg quality is one of a dozen things we have on our list of things we would like to improve. Slowly but surly we will get all of them. It is a slow process and are just excited that we get some of overthing we like in the flock. Getting everything in one bird is the next goal and one that we expect will take a decade or more to even get close with.

Hard to believe that it's almost 4 weeks, and in that time they've went from this..

to this..

To this..

The funny part is sitting in the room watching them and hearing the boy's already trying to crow.

Cross your fingers this goes better than my last hatch. I lost all my Isbars but one, and all my Andalusians.

Back
Top Bottom