Single Cream Legbar, bad idea?

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
I'm looking to get 6 individual breeds for our next flock, but I'm wondering if that will be an issue with Cream Legbars. It will be the smallest chicken by at least a pound, and of course stand out with its interesting crest. Should I just pass on them, or will doubling up on Legbars help even the odds? Will two Legbars form a crest gang and start beating up the other birds?

I'm intending to house them with Opingtons, Bielefelders, and Sussex.

Thanks for your help.

I'm looking to get 6 individual breeds for our next flock, but I'm wondering if that will be an issue with Cream Legbars. It will be the smallest chicken by at least a pound, and of course stand out with its interesting crest. Should I just pass on them, or will doubling up on Legbars help even the odds? Will two Legbars form a crest gang and start beating up the other birds?

Thanks for your help.
I have one legbar in a flock of 20. She is the smallest, and disabled (only uses 1 leg). She is lower in the group, but no one bothers her unless she tries to eat out of the same bowl as the more dominant hens (they will peck at her and she hops away.). I’m actually stunned that no one has bothered her, thought for sure we would have to rehome her because of her disability, but she gets along fine, eats, hops/flutters, and sleeps in a nesting box. She hangs out most with my three docile BYMs & the Salmon Faverolles. I also have a Bielefelder, Sussex, & 2 Orpingtons, and they are gentle with her. Are you getting 2 of each and just 1 legbar? If you are getting pairs of the others I would definitely get 2 Legbars also, but if they are all single breeds she should be fine in my opinion, especially with those more docile breeds. Temperament is more important than size.

I have one legbar in a flock of 20. She is the smallest, and disabled (only uses 1 leg). She is lower in the group, but no one bothers her unless she tries to eat out of the same bowl as the more dominant hens (they will peck at her and she hops away.). I’m actually stunned that no one has bothered her, thought for sure we would have to rehome her because of her disability, but she gets along fine, eats, hops/flutters, and sleeps in a nesting box. She hangs out most with my three docile BYMs & the Salmon Faverolles. I also have a Bielefelder, Sussex, & 2 Orpingtons, and they are gentle with her. Are you getting 2 of each and just 1 legbar? If you are getting pairs of the others I would definitely get 2 Legbars also, but if they are all single breeds she should be fine in my opinion, especially with those more docile breeds. Temperament is more important than size.
That's very encouraging to hear! We're considering a Buff Orp, Lavender Orp, Speckled Sussex, Bielefelder, and 2 Legbars. Salmon Faverolle is another option. We're aiming for super docile breeds since we have a limited ability to free-range.

That's very encouraging to hear! We're considering a Buff Orp, Lavender Orp, Speckled Sussex, Bielefelder, and 2 Legbars. Salmon Faverolle is another option. We're aiming for super docile breeds since we have a limited ability to free-range.
Those are all gentler breeds. Of course, there are always exceptions, but generally excellent choices. Where are you ordering from?

Thanks for your help.
I have one Cream Legbar in with a Welsummer, a Plymouth Rock, a Delaware, and sometimes a Phoenix rooster. The three hens wear pince-nez because they were bullying her. The rooster seems to leave her alone for the most part. Nobody picks at her crest; it’s always her poor back. And her comb. She’s definitely at the bottom of the pecking order but will bully my Orpington pullets who live in a separate coop. She is a great layer of bluish-white eggs!

I have one Cream Legbar in with a Welsummer, a Plymouth Rock, a Delaware, and sometimes a Phoenix rooster. The three hens wear pince-nez because they were bullying her. The rooster seems to leave her alone for the most part. Nobody picks at her crest; it’s always her poor back. And her comb. She’s definitely at the bottom of the pecking order but will bully my Orpington pullets who live in a separate coop. She is a great layer of bluish-white eggs!
That's such a bummer. I hate when they're so cruel to each other, but good to know you've been having issues. Were they raised together as chicks?

Interesting. The Welsummer and Olive Egger (Welsummer Mix) are definitely the leaders of my flock. I call them the mean girls. They are fine but will bowl over anyone to get first dibs at meals. I ended up putting out 4 feeders spread in my run and the fruit/veggie scraps & scratch outside the run, and everyone has a chance to eat without the rest bothering them. My Welsummer & mix are super human friendly, but seem to be the most dominant of the flock also.

Interesting. The Welsummer and Olive Egger (Welsummer Mix) are definitely the leaders of my flock. I call them the mean girls. They are fine but will bowl over anyone to get first dibs at meals. I ended up putting out 4 feeders spread in my run and the fruit/veggie scraps & scratch outside the run, and everyone has a chance to eat without the rest bothering them. My Welsummer & mix are super human friendly, but seem to be the most dominant of the flock also.
My Welsummer is the boss too…or at least she was until my rooster showed up. After her is the Delaware and then Cream Legbar. My Plymouth Rock is kind of outside of the pecking order - she’s not bullied and she really doesn’t bully anyone else (though she did pick on the CL at night - only at night even though there’s plenty of roosting space).

Back
Top Bottom