Cream Legbars

I caught Arthur breeding the crested hen (Melody) this morning. They are 16, almost 17 weeks old now. I will get new photos up soon. They have grown tremendously since I last posted pics.

my 15 week old Legbar and barnevelder boys have been breeding the pullets for 2 weeks now. No one is laying yet. I had no idea the pullets would allow breeding before they were ready to start laying

I think young roosters should take lessons from wild turkeys. The boy turkeys stand around looking lovely and wait for the hen to prostrate herself on the ground in front of them, bump them a couple times to make sure the girls are sure before mounting

These stupid young roos grab the girls by the back of the head and drag them around screaming no before pinning them down

Last edited:
my 15 week old Legbar and barnevelder boys have been breeding the pullets for 2 weeks now. No one is laying yet. I had no idea the pullets would allow breeding before they were ready to start laying

I think young roosters should take lessons from wild turkeys. The boy turkeys stand around looking lovely and wait for the hen to prostrate herself on the ground in front of them, bump them a couple times to make sure the girls are sure before mounting

These stupid young roos grab the girls by the back of the head and drag them around screaming no before pinning them down
I have a roo that is quite the gentleman he will court them looking for their willingness Only grabs head when mounting after they submit

well my legbar is a jerk. he is the worst when they get put up at night or in the am before going outside. He chases down any hen that gets off a perch, drags her about by the head screaming til he can pin her down
I spray the crap out of him with a squirt bottle if I am near by with mixed results
Contemplating getting rid of him because he is such an *** (I even trimmed his nails yesterday) He is lovely but is a terror to the girls.
Outside though he is fine, the tractor coop is only 40" x 10' so not like it is huge, but the inside pen is just 4x4

well my legbar is a jerk. he is the worst when they get put up at night or in the am before going outside. He chases down any hen that gets off a perch, drags her about by the head screaming til he can pin her down
I spray the crap out of him with a squirt bottle if I am near by with mixed results
Contemplating getting rid of him because he is such an *** (I even trimmed his nails yesterday) He is lovely but is a terror to the girls.
Outside though he is fine, the tractor coop is only 40" x 10' so not like it is huge, but the inside pen is just 4x4
for the well-being of your pullets, you may want to take him off until they are laying. (all the cockerels if they are rough on the females) I have seen cases where roosters have done harm to females...and IMO it isn't worth it. Just sayin'.

we are getting ready to move so I have no where to put him. he either needs to get along or he is getting the ax and he is a beautiful bird. The next few months are going to be bad. I am going to have 3 roos and 7 hens (3 breeds) all cooped up together. I just sold 5 Delawares and have 5 more young roos to give away and a 15 week old pair of Barnevelders to sell- by the end of the month. Which will leave me the 10 birds who have to get along or else

for the well-being of your pullets, you may want to take him off until they are laying. (all the cockerels if they are rough on the females) I have seen cases where roosters have done harm to females...and IMO it isn't worth it. Just sayin'.
in general growing out males and females together tends to create these kinds of issues. The males hormones kick in much sooner usually than the girls and they seem to not understand the concept of robbing the cradle.

I try to separate male and females after about 8 weeks. Cuts down a bit also on sparring between the boys as there is nothing to compete over. I have a couple of Pita Pinta boys that I have allowed to free range my back yard and they are starting to show interest in the 10 week old feed store pullets now that they are 16-17 weeks old.
The pullets that are their same age have started avoiding them I currently dont have the space to separate them but Im noticing that I am going to have to do so soon.

Back
Top Bottom