Creating a 3 fold educational pamphlet on backyard chickens

I've got a lot of the text done. When I get it in PDF, I'd like to email it to anyone here who is willing look at it and make suggestions.

We're trying to make it generic enough that anyone else can use it too.

Thanks everyone.

I'm up for it - or maybe I'm down wit'dat
send it over
big_smile.png

I would love a copy of the brochure too. My town doesn't allow chickens either. I think it is insane that apartments in NYC can have chickens on balconies and we can't have them in towns in Mississippi.

I was recently annexed, so my chickens are "grandfathered in". Of course, no one ever asked me how many I had when annexed
wink.png

I live in one of the so called richest towns in the state and property value and looks is all that is important to our mayor.

My friend had 3 hens in his backyard in the city and his neighbor complained to the mayor that the 3 hens were to loud. Well, my friend had to get rid of his hens. He bought a Doberman that now barks all the time, even at night
lol.png

Teri

If you had room you could also put in something about chickens as therapy animals. They are good for children and the elderly with Alzheimer's. I hope I spelled that right.

Many of my friends also want my eggs because they believe that the hormones and antibiotics given to hens on the factory farms may have an effect on their cancer of they have a child with autism and think my hens eggs are will be healthier.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd be happy to look at it!

From reading comments to news stories about backyard chickens, it seems that people are worried most about (1) smell and filth, (2) noise, and (3) bird flu or other health problems. I agree with Eggs-Actly below that the more chickens can be seen as pets, the more persuasive the brochure would be, so it might be good to compare them to "traditional" pets. For example, you can say that any animal's droppings create odor and filth if not cleaned up regularly, a hen is quieter than a barking dog or a parrot, and although chickens may get sick like any other pet, there is no data regarding backyard chickens spreading bird flu to humans because it has never happened. (I'm not positive about the "never" part, but I didn't find anything when I searched recently. Besides, the H5N1 avian influenza virus neither infects humans easily nor transfers between humans easily, which is why the once-feared pandemic isn't such a concern anymore.)

You may want to consider the eggs argument as kind of secondary. To people who aren't into raising their own food, I think the idea of where their food comes from -- or worse, the thought of having a chicken "farm" in their neighborhood -- may put them off a bit. Maybe characterize it more as just an added benefit of pet chickens (which is especially nice in this era of food recalls and factory farms where animals are treated horribly).

Hope this helps! Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom