Creating a new breed (includes Cemani, Sebright, Cochin, and more)

britesidefarm

Songster
May 22, 2020
Santa Barbara, CA
I’ve been working on an idea for some time now, to create a kind of breed that has feathered legs, dark blue/slate skin and legs, slight muffs, lays blue/green eggs, has a frizzled variety, and is a bantam size.

I’m planning on starting by using a black bantam Cochin hen and breeding her with a silver laced Sebright (both good quality). I’ll then breed pullet offspring(s) of those two with an Ayam Cemani x Sebright cockerel. I will then cross the Sebright/Cochin x Sebright/Cemani with a small EE that carries two blue/green pigment genes. I will continue the line with a frizzled Cochin.

I have never even attempted to do this before, so have no idea if there is anything else I will need to do. How do you start to breed true? How do you get specific colorings when all the crosses are finished?

I’ve been working on an idea for some time now, to create a kind of breed that has feathered legs, dark blue/slate skin and legs, slight muffs, lays blue/green eggs, has a frizzled variety, and is a bantam size.

I’m planning on starting by using a black bantam Cochin hen and breeding her with a silver laced Sebright (both good quality). I’ll then breed pullet offspring(s) of those two with an Ayam Cemani x Sebright cockerel. I will then cross the Sebright/Cochin x Sebright/Cemani with a small EE that carries two blue/green pigment genes. I will continue the line with a frizzled Cochin.

I have never even attempted to do this before, so have no idea if there is anything else I will need to do. How do you start to breed true? How do you get specific colorings when all the crosses are finished?
It can take some years for your birds to breed true to type, & color.

Why not just buy black amerucaunas and breed them to black frizzled cochins?
There. I just saved you hundreds of dollars and 10+ years of work.
I would do that if I was starting from scratch, but I already have an Ameracauna and Cochins that I would like to contribute to this project. If you would like to see pictures of the first few chooks I will use, I can put some in.

Back
Top Bottom