creating a secure chicken tractor

So it's basically sounding like chickens just aren't possible. Bummer.

They're possible, but you have to meet their needs. :)

If you're willing to tolerate occasional predator losses you can forgo some of the security measures.

If you put your tractor inside electric poultry netting with a solar charger you can avoid most losses to ground predators. There are a few things that a solar charger isn't strong enough to handle -- bear and hogs primarily -- but it will stop dogs, raccoons, coyotes, etc.

I just looked at the cost of the premier 1 electric poultry netting & charger and was shocked at the cost of it. 😲

So keeping them safe and giving them the freedom to forage the way chickens should be able to forage are just incompatible. I'm also getting debilitated faster than I thought by the lack of protein in my diet, and there is no substitute available here. Plus having to wait months for them to start laying.

I just looked at the cost of the premier 1 electric poultry netting & charger and was shocked at the cost of it. 😲

Yes, it's a bit of an investment.

Compared to 100 feet of just about any other worthwhile fence, however, it's in a quite reasonable range because fencing of any type is frighteningly expensive. Welded wire is just about $100 for a 100-foot roll pf 48" wire at TSC before you even start buying posts. :(

Is your location south Georgia, USA, south Georgia, eastern Europe, or South Georgia Island in the South Atlantic? : ) The link in your profile took me to the island!

Depending on your actual location, you might be able to get pullets that are close to laying age. You can build a mobile coop, with free ranging. You can protect your chicken in the coop and watch over them as much as possible while they are ranging. Chickens have survived while ranging for a long time-- just don't get showy or fancy breeds. Get something that is itself predator resistant and that still has instincts to survive.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom