Creating Autosexing EE

Quote:
I think one of the reasons it took this long is that they have single combs and lay blue eggs. So in addition to all the other aspects of creating the breed, he had to break the link between the pea comb and blue egg.

I have already began the work of creating a autosexing blue/green egg layer. I am breeding them to have both cushion and pea combs, and currently they are laying blue and green eggs.

I've got eggs in the 'bator now from Barred Leghorn x Ameraucana F1 crosses bred back to Barred Leghorn. The F1 crosses are gorgeous birds, puffy faced, rose/walnut combed barred birds with white shanks/beaks. The yellow shanks and beaks did not have beards/muffs or "pea" combs. It's amazing to see so clearly how it's all linked together.

I believe breeding the F1 hens back to leghorns will increase the production qualities, but will almost wipe out the blue in the egg. The f1 crosses are already very pale.

Ideally, I hope to switch roos and get a good Ameraucana into the pen before the season is over and hatch out a round from him, and then breed the two batches of F2 birds to each other, selecting for the blue egg-linked traits among both batches.

I'm trying to do this but I don't think I am having much luck or I am just hatching a bunch of boys.

I have a white Easter Egger rooster with Barred rock hens.
I was hoping for barred boys and solid black girls

Quote:
That is wierd that the yellow shanked ones do not have pea combs or beards, I have hatched one hen with yellow legs, beard and pea comb. Unfortunately, she lays a light brown egg. What is your goal as far as feather color? I am assuming the Leghorns were rose combed? So the F2s will have ether rose or cushion combs?

Quote:
That is wierd that the yellow shanked ones do not have pea combs or beards, I have hatched one hen with yellow legs, beard and pea comb. Unfortunately, she lays a light brown egg. What is your goal as far as feather color? I am assuming the Leghorns were rose combed? So the F2s will have ether rose or cushion combs?

No, the barred leghorns (production blacks,) are single combed birds, but of the F1 birds I've seen, all combs look more like a sloppy walnut comb than anything else. Wrinkled, no spikes or points, varying sizes from very small to rather large. The small walnut combs accompanied small wattles, the larger walnut combs that tended towards single comb accompanied larger wattles.

With these birds, we're just going for a nice, sharp looking black barred bird that would be autosexing like a Dominique or Barred Rock. The males are significantly lighter in color than the females as adults. I didn't have any of the F1s as chicks, but I assume they were sex-linked. This F2 generation should be all barred, so it will be more challenging to sex, but we'll see!

Has anyone here thought of breeding a silver Ameraucana male to a Barred Holland or Cuckoo Leghorn female then breed that male back to Silver Ameraucana females producing single barred males but good females that you breed together and get double barring males and a female that breeds true... giving a breed that should be autosexing...?

just thoughts...

Keith
SC
USA

Has anyone here thought of breeding a silver Ameraucana male to a Barred Holland or Cuckoo Leghorn female then breed that male back to Silver Ameraucana females producing single barred males but good females that you breed together and get double barring males and a female that breeds true... giving a breed that should be autosexing...?

just thoughts...

Keith
SC
USA
Could you use a Cream Legbar roo x Cuckoo Marans hens and get autosexing? if so could you use a Blue Cuckoo Marans or would a Reg Cuckoo work best? I am thinking all the pullets if I used a blue would be harder to tell the color difference??????????

I'm trying to do this but I don't think I am having much luck or I am just hatching a bunch of boys.

I have a white Easter Egger rooster with Barred rock hens.
I was hoping for barred boys and solid black girls

Never use a white bird in a black sex-linked cross unless you know the pedigree of the white bird. The easter egg male could be barred under the white therefore all the chicks will be barred. If you only hatched a few chicks, then it could be that they are all boys.

Auto-sexing and sex-linked crosses are different. Your cross is sex-lined and not auto-sexing.

Test cross the male with black females and see if any of the offspring chicks carry barring. Hatch 10 or more chicks. If any of the offspring chicks are barred, he carries barring.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom