1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Creating bump-outs with hardware cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jetpad, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Jetpad

Jetpad Chillin' With My Peeps

I found what I think is a secure way of expanding the size of a coop or run slightly. I was putting the hardware cloth on the ceiling of my coop and wanted to put my roosts as close to the ceiling as possible. Using this technique, I was able to raise the roost up another 4 inches while giving the chickens the same amount of headroom. It doesn't sound like a lot but I was really trying to squeeze out as much room as possible. It also let me raise the ceiling of my run by 4 inches which was close to head bumping height previously.

When cutting the hardware cloth, I used what I called "nippers" to cut the cloth but don't know whats their real name. It does take a while to cut the cloth with them but you get a really good close cut with no extra sharp edges left over. I wanted it to bump-out 4" so I counted out 9 of the 1/2" squares (4" + 1/2" for attaching it) from the corner and then cut a zig-zag pattern to that square. I practiced with a few pieces of scrap cloth before I got it right.
    [​IMG]

Next, fold the two triangles 90 degrees and then fold both sides 90 degrees at the 9th square (hopefully that makes sense).
    [​IMG]

Here's the corner from inside the coop.
    [​IMG]

And from outside the coop above the people door.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

That is some very nice wire work you have done there. And I had not thought of the 'bump out' which you seem to have perfected. Thank you for the nice pictures and text to explain them. That is all very nice. I will have to give this a try next time I am working with hardware wire like this. Your bends seem very straight and even… a very nice look to all of your work.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by