Creating bump-outs with hardware cloth

Jetpad

Songster
8 Years
Feb 14, 2014
Chevy Chase, Maryland
My Coop
My Coop
I found what I think is a secure way of expanding the size of a coop or run slightly. I was putting the hardware cloth on the ceiling of my coop and wanted to put my roosts as close to the ceiling as possible. Using this technique, I was able to raise the roost up another 4 inches while giving the chickens the same amount of headroom. It doesn't sound like a lot but I was really trying to squeeze out as much room as possible. It also let me raise the ceiling of my run by 4 inches which was close to head bumping height previously.

When cutting the hardware cloth, I used what I called "nippers" to cut the cloth but don't know whats their real name. It does take a while to cut the cloth with them but you get a really good close cut with no extra sharp edges left over. I wanted it to bump-out 4" so I counted out 9 of the 1/2" squares (4" + 1/2" for attaching it) from the corner and then cut a zig-zag pattern to that square. I practiced with a few pieces of scrap cloth before I got it right.

Next, fold the two triangles 90 degrees and then fold both sides 90 degrees at the 9th square (hopefully that makes sense).

Here's the corner from inside the coop.

And from outside the coop above the people door.

Last edited:
That is some very nice wire work you have done there. And I had not thought of the 'bump out' which you seem to have perfected. Thank you for the nice pictures and text to explain them. That is all very nice. I will have to give this a try next time I am working with hardware wire like this. Your bends seem very straight and even… a very nice look to all of your work.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Back
Top Bottom