Creating Ireland

Jebyballard

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
After considerable combing of the internet using various keywords, I have come up emptyhanded.

I began raising chickens for the first time with the cool weather of March in Texas (those two days- yeah). When things heated up, I came out to find two dead baby chicks wet from the throat down. Remembering my happy barefooted walks down the garden path I shudder now that my daily prerecorded message to my child is, "Don't you dare go outside in flip flops!". The night we returned home from the movies to find one chick dead and a 4 foot (not hyperbole) rat snake coiled in the coop was the final proverbial straw.
I already trapped a baby snake in the garage and killed two and I had my fill of it then and there.

I told my boyfriend I wanted it to be Ireland around that coop. We watched my little black chick peck around in his stress and knew we had to protect them with more than a shovel to the snake after the fact. I've never been so rattled (no pun intended).

Three serpent events later and minus six chicks and two guineas, I decided to take action that weekend. We hired help and cleared the area surrounding the coop for a quarter acre on every side, killing six snakes in the process:::shudder:::. We dug a pen inside a pen down into the coop but it still doesn't feel safe.

I got to thinking and scoured the internet again. How can there be so many people with snake problems and no clear solution? It must be either a conspiracy or a shameful lack of proaction. There HAS to be something to kill these vermin before they murder my flock. They have some weakness, some point at which I can either deter or kill them. I'm good either way. My love for all God's creatures extends only so far as they leave me and mine alone. When you make me pick up a shotgun or a shovel, we're at war. Geneva Conventions do not apply to snakes- end of story.

I tried sticky traps. Sadly, I actually caught two baby guineas trying to escape and my boyfriend joked I caught more poultry than snakes using the sticky traps. We spent an hour with oil freeing the little guineas and reviving them and I ust pictured little chalk outlines of chicks around the coop.

I used Dr. T's- let me tell you- that might as well as have been made from ground up baby chicks the way it brought the snakes over the next few days- and yes, I left an opening, etc. Following instructions is my strong suit.

I tried Animal repellent, sulphur, lime, liquid seaweed, planted ROWS of rosemary and put up hardware cloth. I had to dogs pee around the coop and racked my brain to think of more. Where they can get in is a mystery. The rat snake actually climbed UP a metal wall when my boyfriend bisected its body with a shovel that should have been much sharper than it was.

My next brilliant idea is to wrap the edges of my coop in barbed wire, seal that with mesh, cover that with hardware cloth and create a barrier of rat glue traps nailed to 2x4 tamped into the ground. I also bought a spectacular Anthro hook from which to hang my shovel. But there has to be a better answer.

These creatures crawl, they have exposed bellies and they have weaknesses. I'm thinking something severely caustic perhaps mixed with an abrasive substance mixed with something that snakes react to the way we react to jalepeno juice in the eyes, rolled into finely ground glass. But surely there's a better way?

We have Bull snakes out where I am. I think they are eating my duck eggs. But they don't mess with my chickens.

My birds free range, and my dogs protect them. I've seen my dogs kill a snake. I also see hawks and eagles take them too. My baby birds don't come out of the barn until they are 3 weeks old. The snakes don't come into the barn at all. So they are protected there. Once outside, I think they are bigger than the bull snake needs - besides, he has duck eggs that he eats (little stinker!). He could probably take out a 3 week old bird, but they are also around adult birds and adult turkeys - I imagine snakes avoid being pecked at by bigger birds, and leave my littles alone!

While I feel your loss, snakes aren't vermin, the are an important animal in the food chain. Without them, this world would be overrun by rats, mice and other rodents. A better idea than killing them would be to wrap your coop in 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Bury it about 6" to a foot deep, then go around your coop and plug every single hole you can find that a snake could get through. Remember..if their heads fit, then the rest will slither in with ease. Even an inch wide gap is enough. Don't think Ireland...think instead Fort Knox.

I'm not opposed to snakes, per se. I just have an aversion to them killing my chicks. In Texas, we can't dig six feet down without hitting oil :)

maybe lavender would help? i know it deters spiders.
I've heard certain vibrations bother snakes. Maybe there is something out there that you place in or on the ground that vibrates and keeps them away?

I am sorry for your loss, and truly I did enjoy your tongue-in-cheek! It's important to keep some humor in situations sometimes.

That said, the snakes will do you more good than ill, if you can keep them from your chicks. I lived in TX and I know the rat and mouse population can get really out of hand-- especially if you add variables like chicken feed. Snakes are your friend in this situation, though of course I am with you-- I don't want them eating my birds either!! The key, really, is to keep the chicks safe until they are big enough that the tides are turned. Adult chickens (and possibly guineas? I have never kept them so I don't know) will attack, and kill, even larger snakes. They don't like them much either, and to add to the incentive, snakes are delicious. Even if they are not the snake-killing types, adults generally can avoid a snake pretty well.

Though I no longer live in TX, we do have snakes here, and while I do not doubt that our snake population is lower, I've never had trouble with them. I have a raised coop with no place a snake could possibly squeeze in except the pop door, and the coop is inside a closed, fenced run. The run has 3' of hardware cloth wrapped around the base, which 'skirts' out another 2' into the yard (in an L shape). No digging required. Here, the sod has grown up through it, but if that's not an option it would not be a big deal for me to put stone or gavel on top of it instead.

I know I say it a lot here on the predator thread, but everything likes to eat chicks and (small) young chickens. They are just such a great, easy, bite-sized meal that they are immensely vulnerable. It's like setting out a box of cupcakes and oreos in front of hungry kids and then yelling at them for taking some. If you can keep them safe until they are grown, you might have a better time. Most full grown large fowl that are taken by snakes, are taken while on the roost (inside the coop). Chickens are generally too alert for a snake to attempt them while they are awake and doing their daily chicken things. I'm not saying it's impossible, but far less likely.

I feel so much better after reading your perspective on it. I do have a guinea that I drove 100 miles to get and paid $18.00 for. He not only sat by while a 4 foot snake killed my chick, but after we killed the snake and showed it to him, he turned his nose up at it~ Quite useless as a snake killer.

In what may prove to be a fruitless attempt to control the snakes, I have tied numerous lengths of string in the coop as "snake simulation exercise stations" for my young guineas. I'm testing the upcoming guinea population for any keet with a penchant for attacking string and quite a few have gotten after it!

That being said, the old lady at the feed store also mentioned (and she looks old enough to know) that a really thick and wide slab of sulphir would repel snakes.

So it's off to Lowe's again!

Thanks so much for the insight... cupcakes all around!

If it was my run I would put a bundle of loose bird netting at the bottom of the run and then go up six inches from the bottom with a high voltage electric wire. If you get the wire to hang about 2 inches away from the fence it's attached to, there is no way a snake will get past it, and it will die once it makes contact with a good 10,000 volts. I lived in and around Austin for 8 years before moving to where I am now, so I know that digging a trench around the outside to burry fence is akin to shoveling into a concrete slab, I wouldn't even bother with trying to go THAT route. Just make sure that coup is sealed tight. You might also consider a good Jack Russell Terrier, They tend to be fearless little snake killers.

Those are some really good points. Thanks for the insight!
You would think that a Doberman and a flock of guineaus would do it, for Heaven's sake

Back
Top Bottom