Creating the MF Pattern

rockyspringsfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 25, 2009
Huntington, Texas
If one wanted to create the MF pattern in a breed that did not have that pattern where would you start ? What color of hen ? What color of rooster ? I know there's enough experience on this forum to give some pretty solid advice about where to begin or at least inform as to how they would start....I sure would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone that has input. Thanks.

I have a clean legged bantam variety which I really like in mind that does not exhibit the MF pattern and would like to play with that to see if I could create it in a quality way...So, no I don't want the D'Unccle look. Thanks for your replies

I don't know what the black restricting genes of full buff would do to the black bands in the MF pattern.

Furthermore I have good experience crossing buff columbians with mille fleur. Remember my dun mille fleur rosecomb pullet?

Mille fleur "is" Buff columbian plus mottle
e^b or E^Wh plus Co/Co plus mo/mo plus s+

Thanks Henk, I see what you mean. I was thinking of it in a slightly different way. I'm doing it in Orpingtons where there isn't a readily available buff columbian. I was thinking put mottling onto eWh (or eb) & add Co (& worry about the rest later.
tongue.png
)

Henk! Just the person to help me out --

I'm working on mf bantam cochins, wheaten based. IMHO it's going pretty well, BUT about half of my cockerels are coming out with mostly dark charcoal/black mottling. You can see pics here, in the gallery with the older chicks:

http://eggheadhill.smugmug.com/Chickens/809907

I've produced more than 30 chicks now, and it's ONLY in the cockerels. Do you have any ideas what gene might be at work here?

Are you sure they are wheaten based and not e+? The male parents look more like spangled than mille fleur. (The BBR + mottle type of spangled, not spangled as in silver spangled hamburg)

Anyways, the base colour of the males does not look buff columbian.

Back
Top Bottom