Creative coyote deterrents?

I have coyotes here too but the DNR says that if they go for any livestock we can shoot them. My dogs wiped out one group a year or so ago but they are not herder dogs. That is all the DNR here in Indiana says to do..sorry. jan

Did not read all answers, but if no one has mentioned it....try predator pee....yes there is a product called that. They have a great website that you can list what animals you are trying to deter and they will recommend which pee to use. It was a great adjunct to our hot wire and enclosed pen. Coyotes mark territory by scent...so if you put out wolf or bobcat scent, it will deter them. If you run a hot wire, make sure to have two wires, one about six inches from ground, the other about 12-15 inches higher. It is a fairly cheap but highly effective way of protecting the flock. All it takes is once to usually teach them the lesson. Hope this helps.

I believe you have the right to shoot coyote if they threaten your livestock and children.. Check with the animal control or cooperative in your state.

I was having a serious coyote problem recently even though my chickens are completely enclosed. I think the coyotes really wanted my barn cats. The past week, I have sprinkled urine from my husband around the barn, and the coyote problem vanished. I got this idea on line. It has to be male human urine because of the testosterone. Good luck!

Update from original poster:

Well, after a few weeks of all my yelling and chasing and throwing things (and possibly making my husband pee out by the coop), I am happy to report that our last two coyote sightings have simply been one walking past at a distance of 100 ft or so, not even attempting to come close. The chickens seem to have caught on that I will come out if they make a ruckus, so they've been good "alarms." Also, since the last two sightings were singles only, I'd say there's a chance somebody else shot or caught one of them (they had been running as a pair).

Our local newspaper just ran a story on the increased sightings of these bold, suburbanized coyotes, so at least I know I'm not alone (and it's also not just the hens, as we had coyotes in the yard before we got chicks hence why we built a very secure coop). I still have my guard up and will even more so in the late winter when they get more desparate, but things are okay for now. They seemed to have targeted my yard as a kill zone for about a week or two, and now have learned it's not worth it I hope. We are feeling much better about it anyway!

Thanks for all the suggestions and I hope this thread will be useful to others seeking solutions to coyotes as well!

Just saw this -

Try wolf urine. One natural, and innovative answer to the growing coyote problem is the use of wolf urine as a deterrent.[15] Wolves are one of the coyote's natural predators, and coyote populations drop as wolves are reintroduced into an area.[16]
  • Another odor that might deter coyotes is the common mothball or ammonia soaked rags.[17] Place these at strategic locations around the yard or campsite.

Back
Top Bottom