Creative coyote deterrents?

I read an add somewhere for Predator Pee and wrote asking what would deter wild dogs from our stable in the valley. He recommended bear pee! I would think that'd scare off coyotes as well.

Update from original poster:

Well, after a few weeks of all my yelling and chasing and throwing things (and possibly making my husband pee out by the coop), I am happy to report that our last two coyote sightings have simply been one walking past at a distance of 100 ft or so, not even attempting to come close. The chickens seem to have caught on that I will come out if they make a ruckus, so they've been good "alarms." Also, since the last two sightings were singles only, I'd say there's a chance somebody else shot or caught one of them (they had been running as a pair).

Our local newspaper just ran a story on the increased sightings of these bold, suburbanized coyotes, so at least I know I'm not alone (and it's also not just the hens, as we had coyotes in the yard before we got chicks hence why we built a very secure coop). I still have my guard up and will even more so in the late winter when they get more desparate, but things are okay for now. They seemed to have targeted my yard as a kill zone for about a week or two, and now have learned it's not worth it I hope. We are feeling much better about it anyway!

Thanks for all the suggestions and I hope this thread will be useful to others seeking solutions to coyotes as well!
Glad things have improved.
It's usually true that if they can't get a meal they move on...but may be checking back.

Anything in the article about local authorities taking any steps to reduce the problem...or suggestions on protection?

We've raised chickens for many years. We are located out in the country with potentially lots of different varmints. Our best deterrent is to have a radio on in or near the coop 24/7. Doesn't have to be loud and the birds get used to it. Good Luck!

Glad things have improved.
It's usually true that if they can't get a meal they move on...but may be checking back.

Anything in the article about local authorities taking any steps to reduce the problem...or suggestions on protection?

No, the article ended with just the typical hazing suggestions (make noise, keep small pets on leash, etc). I was disappointed that they didn't point out what to do if those things aren't working or what abnormal behaviors to watch for. And it seemed a little like authorities were just trying to say, "get used to it."

Did you ever contact animal control and/or DNR yourself?

No, but it was/is next on my list of things to do if the coyotes return or if they ever approach when I am outside already again.

We live on residential zoned land (northern IL) but are surrounded by some open/preserved area and farm land. However, there are plenty of nice, child-filled neighborhoods around as well and I am pretty confident the residents there have called in most sightings. I did have to laugh when I heard someone from a posh neighborhood north of us called in a "wolf" sighting...

I want to free range too. But if cats can't get away from these coyotes, I doubt chickens will either.
I bought my birds from a guy that will sell you anything from chicks to full grown layers. Maybe you can find a breeder who can set you up with new birds of a similar age to your last bird.
I know that here (So.Dak) there is a poultry for sale page on FaceBook. You could look there and on CL to try to find some to keep yours company until at least spring.

I think it is a multitude of things that keep coyotes away from my livestock and crops. I use:

Solar powered nite eyes, was skeptical at first but worked great

Sprinkler(motion activated), works very well as it is loud and disconcerting. A bit pricey though

Secure coop/pen, self explanatory

Dog: I have a dog that marks his territory around the garden, orchard, etc., things have been much easier since adding him into the equation

Other options:

Fencing, using electric is always ideal, but for some people it is not an option, dogs and kids usually learn to stay away fast

Paintball guns/BB guns: work amazingly well after a shot or two at keeping predators at bay

Also, male urine around the yard helps, coyotes smell the testosterone in the urine

Strobe lights, flashy and sometimes unsettling to other animals.

Please do not resort to poison. I understand as a last resort if an animal has attacked or shown interest in humans, but it is very risky. Too many animals: dogs, cats, even young kids, will/can get to the poison and may eat it. Plus, there is no guarantee a coyote will actually eat it. IMO shooting is the most humane way if you have come to the conclusion that removing the predator will help your flock or at least relieve the pressure. I won't voice my opinion on "getting revenge," I don't want a debate. Anyway I hope for the best for you and your flock. Good luck!
I like the idea of the paintball gun just because you know which one is the problem one and if it is coming back or if it is another one. You can also show the DNR which one you shot so they could remove the nuisance. Sometimes that will encourage the others to move on. I knew a guy who would shoot one and then hang it's carcass on the fence as a warning to others. He did not have a lot of losses to 'yotes. They are smart and adapt/figure things out pretty quickly as to what would preserve their life.

Back
Top Bottom