Creator of the Labradoodle has major regrets...

Personally, I think "designer" dogs, cats, anything are narcissistic. My jaw almost dropped when our old neighbor bragged about paying $800 for a labradoodle pup. When it comes down to it, they are mutts. The breed creator even said out of 10 pups, only 3 might make the grade. So it is not an established breed that can reliably pass on the proper genetics - the labradoodle is a hybrid!

I have a "designer breed" puppy ... the breed is called Teddy Bear.
I guess its a Bichon/shizu mix... supposedly they are shedless.. *THAT sold me...*
lol.png

I didnt buy her because of the "designer" thing though..i just bought her cause she cuuute... lol
tongue.png

Shes still a mutt to me... lol

Weird..it made a double post...
hu.gif

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with crossing breeds if it's done with intent and is well thought out. Majority of the crosses available though have all the predictability of your typical shelter mutt. They can't gurantee a dog not to shed unless they are several generations away from the original crossing using dogs that have shown not to shed. It's hit or miss what you'll get in the first generation of a cross. People are spending $1000 for the same guess work they could get at a shelter while adding to the over population problem. If you just want something cute go save a shelter dog. There are plenty of cute ones dying every day because breeders are not thinking things through.

I agree they are mutts. That being said, I like mutts. But to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a crossbreed is crazy to me. But then again when I was a kid mutts were free. Even the small ones. Now I see people selling lab shepherd mixes for 300! To me that is crazy.

Quote:
I'm not in any way knocking you, redhen! I fully understand the hypoallergenic need for some people. So many of these "breeds" are fads, though, and I think it really adds to the hardship on shelters and rescues. Like when 101 Dalmations came out again, everyone wanted a Dalmation. But they're not the greatest family dogs, and I think lots of people just saw $$$ to be made on a trend. So shelters saw an uptick in Dals when folks didn't know what they were getting into. LIke a cartoon is a good representation of a breed
roll.png

Quote:
I'm not in any way knocking you, redhen! I fully understand the hypoallergenic need for some people. So many of these "breeds" are fads, though, and I think it really adds to the hardship on shelters and rescues. Like when 101 Dalmations came out again, everyone wanted a Dalmation. But they're not the greatest family dogs, and I think lots of people just saw $$$ to be made on a trend. So shelters saw an uptick in Dals when folks didn't know what they were getting into. LIke a cartoon is a good representation of a breed
roll.png

OOh, i knew you wernt knocking me!! I didnt take it that way at all..
hugs.gif

And i agree with you! They are just mutts...
personally AKC papers never meant anything to me.. a dog is a dog is a dog... IMO..
I like all kinds of dogs.. pure breeds (i REALLY want a Clumber spaniel) ..and i also like the mutts too...
i just like dogs...
big_smile.png

Quote:
Oh, I would LOVE to get a Bernese Mtn Dog someday, and a Great Dane, and an Anatolian Shepherd...and and and
lol.png
I just love big dogs, period. I'm just as much in love with mutts too
love.gif
That's why shelters break my heart.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom