Solved Crediting the Pictures on the Front Page

These pictures used aren't random pictures on the internet...they are pictures someone here on BYC uploaded to the site.

If you upload your own pictures here on BYC...BYC can use them without "crediting' you.
Read the rules.
Does BYC get the original posters permission to use the photo, or no? I would think that using someone’s picture is the same wherever you find it, whether it be on a website or on google images.

I think it is a bit wrong to be able to use someone’s picture for a website without their permission or crediting them, as it seems like the website’s trying to pass the pictures off as their own, but if it’s in the rules there really isn’t anyway to prevent your picture from being used without your permission or credit besides just not posting them.

I was just trying to see if BYC could make it so they credited the owners of the pictures they used on their homepage, as we are really sensitive about using images that aren’t yours without asking for the owners permission and crediting them on here, and it’s really upsetting to have your work being used without you getting credit for creating it, or without you giving permission to have them use it in the first place.

Does BYC get the original posters permission to use the photo, or no? I would think that using someone’s picture is the same wherever you find it, whether it be on a website or on google images.

I think it is a bit wrong to be able to use someone’s picture for a website without their permission or crediting them, as it seems like the website’s trying to pass the pictures off as their own, but if it’s in the rules there really isn’t anyway to prevent your picture from being used without your permission or credit besides just not posting them.

I was just trying to see if BYC could make it so they credited the owners of the pictures they used on their homepage, as we are really sensitive about using images that aren’t yours without asking for the owners permission and crediting them on here, and it’s really upsetting to have your work being used without you getting credit for creating it, or without you giving permission to have them use it in the first place.

I don't think you are reading the rules or if you are you are missing something.
No permission is needed.

If you don't want your photos used then don't upload them to the site.

Do you not understand this part copied straight from the rule page?

"You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content (including and not limited to posts, images, comments, articles, etc.) in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content."

Do you not understand this part copied straight from the rule page?

"You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content (including and not limited to posts, images, comments, articles, etc.) in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content."
Yes, I do, but I still think it would be more respectful to the creators of the images if BYC if we gave the original creators credit for their work. It says nowhere in the rules that BYC doesn’t need to cite its sources when using images.

It says, and I quote, ‘ You retain copyright over the content.’ If you are using copyrighted material, you mention who owns the copyright for it. It’s against the US laws to use a copyrighted image, even if you have permission to use it, without saying who owns the copyright to it. It’s also just being a decent person if you give credit to the owner of an image you use if it’s not yours.

I have read over the rules MULTIPLE times, and it’s says nowhere that BYC doesn’t have to give credit to the owner of an image they use.

Now if you excuse me, I am going to stop responding to this thread because the point of me making this was not to berated by people calling me silly, it was to give feedback, as this category of threads is meant for, along with complaining about issues and announcing things to the community.

Sorry for the confusion in our terms and conditions. Hopefully I can clarify a bit:

When people sign up for BYC they agree to grant BYC license (a form of use / copyright privileges) to use the content with or without attribution.

So, legally we're not required to give attribution, but we still do so very often within articles, calendars, etc.

Again, we're hearing the desire for more attribution, and we'll work on that.

Hopefully that clarifies things. :)

Sorry for the confusion in our terms and conditions. Hopefully I can clarify a bit:

When people sign up for BYC they agree to grant BYC license (a form of use / copyright privileges) to use the content with or without attribution.

So, legally we're not required to give attribution, but we still do so very often within articles, calendars, etc.

Again, we're hearing the desire for more attribution, and we'll work on that.

Hopefully that clarifies things. :)
Thank you @Nifty-Chicken, that clarifies things a lot.

I live by a personal belief that if you make something, you deserve credit for making it, and if you used something made by someone else it’s only right to give them credit. Too much attribution is never a bad thing, as people make excellent things and deserve to be recognized for it. The world would be a lot different if people weren’t good at creating things, and it’s important to remember that when you use something that someone else has put time and effort into.

Thank you @Nifty-Chicken, that clarifies things a lot.

I live by a personal belief that if you make something, you deserve credit for making it, and if you used something made by someone else it’s only right to give them credit. Too much attribution is never a bad thing, as people make excellent things and deserve to be recognized for it. The world would be a lot different if people weren’t good at creating things, and it’s important to remember that when you use something that someone else has put time and effort into.
While it would be nice if the world worked that way, when you upload images to BYC you are giving BYC ownership of that image, now, that doesn't mean you don't also have ownership of it, you can still do as you like with it but so can they.

The way I see it is that it is the same as giving a chicken away to someone with no restrictions and then being upset that they ate it.

You can always watermark your images showing that they are yours and I seriously doubt BYC would remove the watermark when using your image, that way you automatically get credit for the image no matter how they use it.

While it would be nice if the world worked that way, when you upload images to BYC you are giving BYC ownership of that image, now, that doesn't mean you don't also have ownership of it, you can still do as you like with it but so can they.

The way I see it is that it is the same as giving a chicken away to someone with no restrictions and then being upset that they ate it.

You can always watermark your images showing that they are yours and I seriously doubt BYC would remove the watermark when using your image, that way you automatically get credit for the image no matter how they use it.
I was thinking maybe just telling people to watermark their images when they post them if they want credit if they are ever used for the website.
It would make sure they got proper credit for images they created, and BYC wouldn’t actually have to change to accommodate it. Watermarks aren’t hard to put on an image, and just writing your username at a corner would work fine.

I was thinking maybe just telling people to watermark their images when they post them if they want credit if they are ever used for the website.
It would make sure they got proper credit for images they created, and BYC wouldn’t actually have to change to accommodate it. Watermarks aren’t hard to put on an image, and just writing your username at a corner would work fine.
That is pretty standard images on the internet thing, shouldn't have to be told by BYC, anyone that is concerned with having the rights to their images already watermarks.

That is pretty standard images on the internet thing, shouldn't have to be told by BYC, anyone that is concerned with having the rights to their images already watermarks.
I don’t think most people even know that BYC uses the pictures from the community, so they might not know to do it. BYC wouldn’t have to tell people necessarily, just like the community can remind people every so often.

Back
Top Bottom