Creepy/crawlies on my face and in my hair

The mites and live that typically infect chickens won't infect humans (although they may try a bite before deciding we taste yucky). However, fleas and other non-typical pests will infest both poultry and humans. The mange mites/scabies would probably infest the birds as well as you. You should probably take the dogloo apart and clean thoroughly, then spray with a pesticide. Replace all the bedding, adding sevin or poultry dust.

Many mites are microscopic, so don;t think that just becasue you cannot see them that they aren;t there. I would treat the birds.

I don't mean to be stupid... but isn't a "loo" a bathroom? "Loo" isn't a common term in the US. How long ago was a dog in this "loo?" Can you describe this area/structure -- size, shape, material

Also, this time of year is flea season -- they are looking for a winter abode, i.e., you. The buggy things that you feel crawling on you might well be common fleas in search of a host.

It is my understanding that diatemacious earth is a good deterrent but not an effective killer of fleas, mites and lice. Once an infestation has taken hold it will require stronger stuff like Sevin to kill the parasites.

Jenny

Quote:
Yes, loo does mean bathroom in some places but I think they are talking about a dog house that looks like a igloo?? plastic dome shape?

Quote:
I have had them crawl up my arm but no they won't stay on a human.

Now was there a dog in that dog gloo if so you could have scabies been a few years ago i adopted a free puppy that had mange.
I let him sleep with me as he was so tiny "bad idea" as i got scabies from the puppy mange in dogs is scabies in humans.
Doctor confirmed it me and my Dh both had itchy bumps on our chest, torso and on our arms and it was horrible.
Scabies are microscopic and live and lay eggs under the skin and can be passed from one person to another.
Your symptoms sound like ours a itchy rash if you think you have this go to your doctor he will give you something to kill them and instructions on how to get rid of them.

How long can scabies live without a host? This was a dog house I picked up as I was driving through town a couple years ago. I thought I cleaned it pretty well, but did I. It sat vacant, in the back yard, for quite a long time, over a year.

Strange thing is that the chickens were sleeping in the dog house with pine shaving, a couple weeks ago we added some straw and they slept in it for a few days and haven't been in it since, except to lay eggs.

And if what is affecting me was contact contagious, wouldn't my daughter, who I sleep with, experience intense itching also.

I am going to scrub and disinfect the house tomorrow.

I did notice a slight bit of brown on their feathers under their butts tonight. I have never wormed them and they were hatched this summer. If I should worm them what should I use?

Last edited:
Quote:
I have had them crawl up my arm but no they won't stay on a human.

Now was there a dog in that dog gloo if so you could have scabies been a few years ago i adopted a free puppy that had mange.
I let him sleep with me as he was so tiny "bad idea" as i got scabies from the puppy mange in dogs is scabies in humans.
Doctor confirmed it me and my Dh both had itchy bumps on our chest, torso and on our arms and it was horrible.
Scabies are microscopic and live and lay eggs under the skin and can be passed from one person to another.
Your symptoms sound like ours a itchy rash if you think you have this go to your doctor he will give you something to kill them and instructions on how to get rid of them.

How long can scabies live without a host? This was a dog house I picked up as I was driving through town a couple years ago. I thought I cleaned it pretty well, but did I. It sat vacant, in the back yard, for quite a long time, over a year.

Strange thing is that the chickens were sleeping in the dog house with pine shaving, a couple weeks ago we added some straw and they slept in it for a few days and haven't been in it since, except to lay eggs.

And if what is affecting me was contact contagious, wouldn't my daughter, who I sleep with, experience intense itching also.

I am going to scrub and disinfect the house tomorrow.

I did notice a slight bit of brown on their feathers under their butts tonight. I have never wormed them and they were hatched this summer. If I should worm them what should I use?

Hmm don't think scabies would live that long they have a short life span off of a host........Do you think the chickens have always had mites and you hadn't noticed?
I don't know if chickens carry scabies i would have to look that up but the itching you and your husband have is something you need to look into.
I would suggest if it gets worse to go to your doctor he can tell you for sure what you have.

Back
Top Bottom