crele leghorns

I know they have them in the UK. It would be so easy to make them. I have barred leghorns and if I had some brown leghorns I could cross them and get creles. I think I might do that come spring, use the bantam roo on the neighbors large hens, get some chicks and cross them back to the parents to either get bantam or large fowl.

I know there are exchequer leghorns too they are almost mottled. They are very beautiful I may be getting a few soon.

Henry

The cockerel below is a first generation ( needs lots of work) barred rhode island red. You can make a creel by adding the barring gene to the offspring from a cross. I crossed a barred rock with a rhode island red. Then back crossed a male offspring to rhode island red and the bird below is a result of the cross. I back crossed the male below to female RIR and have the eggs in the bator. I am working on the male line (below) and the female line. I have birds in the breeding house for the female line at this time.

Tim

13371_barredrir_001.jpg

Last edited:
I've gotta highjack this thread just a bit, and say that since I accidentally came home with a trio of bantam white leghorns yesterday the breed is already growing on me.

You see, I was at a poultry show yesterday. The host club held an auction at the end of the show, to raise money for the club. Most of the items were inanimate objects, but they had two groups of birds on auction as well. Nobody at all was the least bit interested in the leghorns, so I finally gave $2 for all of em just to keep something bad from happening to them. But anyway....

They really are quite attractive birds. And so far, they don't seem any more skittish or "flighty" than other birds I've had to this point. The roo has a beautiful flowing tail, too.
smile.png

As for other colors -- I also saw a trio of bantam light brown leghorns at the show, and I thought they were quite attractive as well. In color they looked a lot like miniature Welsummers (not in shape, of course!).

Quote:
Peachick is the only person I know of with exchequers she has a great trio and usually has eggs or chicks available try PMing her I may be getting some and I will post pictures if I do.

Henry

Ideal has Exchequer, Red, Buff, Light Brown, Dark Brown and Brown Leghorns. I have Exchequers, Reds and Rosecomb Browns from them and I must say their exchequers are quite nice, lots of white and not so much mottled like other bloodlines. The Reds are nice too, didn't expect such nice even deep colour from a hatchery but they do look quite nice(am just waiting for them to grow up some more).

Later this month I will get a Pure Black Leghorn cockerel from SQ bloodlines, I will cross him over some of my ExchequerXBrowns and see what happens(some have red bleed through in the hackles but most of them are solid black) and exchequers.

I will also get a few california greys next year and cross them with Exchequers and see what that does to the exchequer pattern. I love experimenting with the different colours.

I doubt I ever get exchquers that are anything like the european exchequers, but at least I may be able to make them at least look like it.

Next year I also start my Blue laced red leghorn project.

Back
Top Bottom