Crele

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jhamblin, Oct 10, 2012.

1. jhamblin

jhamblin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    What colors would you have to cross to produce a Crele type bird???

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Crele can be created on either the e+ or eb allele. It is barred added to Gold Duckwing (wildtype) . The B/B rooster looks a bit light, compared to the B/b+ rooster, which like the B/- hen has one dose of B. Avoid Di gene.
    or Crele can be created like Cuckoo Partridge, as in Wyandottes.
    wildtype crele: e+/e+ Ar+/Ar+ s+/s+ B/B or B/b+
    (translated: 2 copies of the wildtype allele; 2 copies of autosomal red gene; lacking 2 copies of Silver gene i.e. the bird is gold; 2 copies of the Barred gene; or just 1 copy of the Barred gene)
    Cuckoo Partridge in Wyandottes: eb/eb s+/s+ Ar+/Ar+ Mh/Mh B/B (B/- hen)
    ( translated: 2 copies of the Brown allele; lacking 2 copies of Silver gene i.e. the bird is gold; 2 copies of Autosomal Red; 2 copies of Mahogany; 2 copies of the Barred gene; 1 copy of the Barred gene in the hen).
    All credit to " The Genetics of Chicken Colours- The Basics" by Van Dort, Hancox and Friends.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    thats correct, and the cool thing about crele on both e+ or eb is that they are autosexable...[​IMG]

4. jhamblin

Oct 16, 2011
    Haha, Is there a translator in the house?? [​IMG] I guess I need to get that book!

5. jhamblin

Oct 16, 2011
    So If I crossed a Barred Rock and a Partridge Rock, I would have a chance to produce a Crele type bird? If so what sex has to be what?

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    you wont get Crele birds, you will be Barred birds? why? well Barred rocks are Extended Black at the e locus(E/E) and Partridge Rocks are eb brown at the e locus(eb/eb) and the order of dominance of the e loci is... E/E >ER/ER>eWh>e+>eb as you see eb brown(partridge rocks) is recessive to E so your first cross is going to be E/eb B/b and they will all look Barred..BUT... if you cross those birds back to Partridge you will get 25% Crele birds and 75% Barred birds, mate the Crele looking birds together and you will get 50% autosexing chicks.(or at least you will be able to see the double barred roosters)

this is how you will do the mating...

Barred Rock rooster mated to a Partridge Rock will yield 100% single barred black down chicks

select the best Barred rooster out of that mating and mate him back to a partridge rock hen(mother or another partridge hen) this will yield 75% black down chicks and 25% partridge down chicks, cull all the black down chicks, out of the 25% partridge down chicks you will get 50% Crele chicks(as you can see in this hatch you will need to hatch lots of eggs, I say at least 50 of them to get a few crele chicks)

select the best Crele birds(male and female) mate them, out of this you will get

25% double barring Crele males that will look like this(male on the left)
    [​IMG]

25% single barred Crele females(females can only be single barred never double barred) that will look like the chick on the right.
    25% single barred Crele Males(B/b) that will look like the chick on the right(single barred males and females look alike)
    25% none barred partridge Females(no headspot at all)

you have a very cool project on your hands

7. jhamblin

Oct 16, 2011
    What if I put a silver penciled rock it the place of a partridge? what would that do?

8. jhamblin

Oct 16, 2011
    silver crele?

9. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    no, you will get barred silver penciled rock, just use the partridge instead, much easier...

10. jhamblin

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG] Thanks!!! I Have Barred rocks, Silver Penciled Rocks, Partridge rocks and New Hampshires, and I am just trying to get a feel of what I could make.

This crele look seems like it would be the way to go! But do you have any other ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by