creole genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hdowden, Oct 10, 2013.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    what are the genetics behind this coloring? i had a "creole" nn that i was going to work with in producing more creole and bettering the coloring on but he was recently taken by either a coon or opossum (still trying to catch the thing 10/10/13). i was not able to gt babies from him so i am literally starting form scratch. i knew what to cross him with to improve on the coloring but not to sure what to use to start this over. i am going to guess a barred breed (like oegb) and a BBred nn. these will be bantams as well.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Crele (not creole) is BBR plus barring. To start from scratch, I'd cross BBR to barred (at least two pair), then breed the best offspring of each pair to the best offspring of the other pair.

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Well, if you're going to use OEGB, why not just use a crele rooster over BBR hens?

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    not sure what breeds i will be using besides the nn. would sticking to oegb be the best breed to use for this?

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The goal is a crele naked neck? Using a properly coloured crele in the breed that is closest to a naked neck is probably what you should do.

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    which breed would be best? not to keen on the bantam nn yet still researching on that. i had received the project one that i was going to work with and it looked like he may of had some sore of game in him. he was partially dubbed by accident by previous owner who was told he needed to be before he found it he wasn't supposed to be. he needed wok on him and i have been looking into the standard but was planing on getting some bbr oegb for him while i still looked around but was never able to find any that looked good to me.

this is him:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by