Crested Cream Legbar hatching eggs

tbmorgan

Songster
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Crested Cream Legbar hatching eggs available now. Hardy, beautiful birds that autosex at hatching, so no guessing of gender! $50 dozen plus shipping. Within USA only.
IMG_6757.JPG
IMG_7234.JPG

I don't see any barring on these birds so they won't produce auto-sexing chicks.

Pretty eggs though.

Where did you get your foundation stock from?

How long have you been working with this breed?

Do you have photos of the chicks or any mature offspring from this group.

Yeah, I'm ready to kill someone...

This is my first group of these birds. I bought the 4 of them from a local lady, who took total advantage. I've since been on the lookout for true CCL's. The girls look like they're supposed to (I think.) The rooster actually does have a crest, but he's not the right color (no barring whatsoever) as I have come to find out. The chicks I just hatched out (only 3) are all chipmunk colored, and at 3 weeks, are starting to develop crests, so I'm assuming I'm safe in saying they are 3 girls.
I'm wondering if the boy is a half CCL, since he does have a crest. At any rate, I'm withdrawing my egg sale offer until I get all of this straightened out.

They are neither Cream nor barred. They do look like they have a significant amount of Cream Legbar ancestry though. I'd keep the hens, get rid of the rooster. Find a really good Cream Legbar rooster to replace him. Hatch the eggs, keep the best female offspring, and breed back to their father. Should end up with some really nice second generation stock.

Yeah, I'm ready to kill someone...

This is my first group of these birds. I bought the 4 of them from a local lady, who took total advantage. I've since been on the lookout for true CCL's. The girls look like they're supposed to (I think.) The rooster actually does have a crest, but he's not the right color (no barring whatsoever) as I have come to find out. The chicks I just hatched out (only 3) are all chipmunk colored, and at 3 weeks, are starting to develop crests, so I'm assuming I'm safe in saying they are 3 girls.
I'm wondering if the boy is a half CCL, since he does have a crest. At any rate, I'm withdrawing my egg sale offer until I get all of this straightened out.

Have you contacted the breeder? I'm curious as to what she has to say. She very well could have thought they were cream legbars. If that's the case, she may have been duped buy someone who sold them to her that way as well. One should really research SOP on the birds they're wanting to purchase especially if they plan on breeding and selling anything from them. It's a chain that goes on and on down the line and is very detrimental to said breeds and to the committed breeders of the breed. Good on you for taking the criticism like a champ tho. There's been many times I've seen this exact thing play out with OP becoming very defensive and unwilling to listen to feedback. I hope, if you haven't already, you can get into contact with the lady and see what she says. Maybe even point her to this site for more info.

You mentioned she took total advantage, do you mind sharing the details of your sale?

She told me that they were 2nd and 3rd generation imports from England and sold me the quad for $100. I'll straight up admit it's my fault for not doing my homework more thoroughly beforehand, but I still feel let down. The girls do lay a pretty blue egg, and I think that they are close to, if not 100%, purebred, so I agree that they are probably salvageable. The boy will be put up for sale as I have no use for him. I'm going to find a purebred cockerel or rooster for my girls.

As far as my attitude, there's no point in getting uppity about it. What's done is done. Getting upset is a waste of time and energy, not to mention unpleasant for everyone. I can only move forward, and I appreciate the help. I'm a hobby breeder, not interested in showing, but I do want to be as correct as possible.
When I have 100% correct eggs to sell, I'll be back! ;)

Back
Top Bottom