Crested duck feathers being plucked off top! Advice please.

duckins

Songster
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Gladys, Va
Sorry but I need help again. Yesterday drake got a hold of 8 wk olds crest pulled a few feathers off of crest I stopped it you could tell feathers had been plucked but nothing major. Well today everyone was out drake acting fine and i came for brief bathroom break went back she had big bald spot fatty tissue exposed and red no broken skin I applied neo put everyone up the crest babies have their own lot this afternoon it looks the same but I thought I should bring her in for a tub swim more neo and now have her in large tote w/ food and water just to be on the safe side but shes very very upset unless someone's w/ her which we can't be all night. I don't no if I should put her back w/ other 3 not knowing if they'll peck her because its a sore they don't peck each other but feel if pecked at any further it will break skin thus causing more problems what should I do am afraid I may be adding more stress by keeping her separate.

I am by no means an expert so hopefully someone else will chime in. I would probably keep her seperate tonight. Turn off the light and let her rest and she should quiet down. Ducks aren't as bad at pecking as chickens but I would make sure that the younger ones are not doing anything before leaving her with them.
Maybe try something like blu coat (not the correct spelling). You can get it at the feed store, it's purple and will disguise the wound and protect from bugs etc.

Crests are an easy target for injury. They are also an unusual thing for ducks not raised with them. This could be an ongoing problem which you may need to address by seperating or rehoming. Sorry.

I hope your little one has a quick recovery.

With them still being young there feathers will probably grow in quickly with proper feed and conditions. I personally would not put her back in with him for a few days. You must be very careful because too much trauma to the crest can cause serious damage to the bird.

She's not penned with him only the 3 other crest she was raised with. Do u think putting her with mates would cause problems she's been throwing a fit for 3 hrs. I will do whatever she needs just hate her being this upset.

I would not advise putting her back in with anyone with fatty tissue exposed.

If it's just red and not bleeding try putting Vicks Vapo Rub on it and letting her in with the crested crew. They don't like the smell or taste of the Vicks so it prevents further plucking. I've used this on my crested call ducks before.
Aprille

That's good to know because she was so upset last night. today its pink instead of red it never broke skin or bled just red as if when we get pinched hard and should be fine as long as no more plucking occurs. This is great info thanks.

Back
Top Bottom