crested duck has a single black feather

someguyhere

Chirping
Sep 6, 2016
probably just being paranoid but I noticed yesterday that one of my crested ducklings is growing 1 single black feather in the area of their little preening gland by the tail. if this feather was anywhere else but there I probably wouldnt even question it. does that seem pretty normal or should I be more concerned about it? I could grab a picture if anyone thinks it would help.

probably just being paranoid but I noticed yesterday that one of my crested ducklings is growing 1 single black feather in the area of their little preening gland by the tail. if this feather was anywhere else but there I probably wouldnt even question it. does that seem pretty normal or should I be more concerned about it? I could grab a picture if anyone thinks it would help.
What type of crested duck do you have?

If it is just now growing in feathers it's probably too young to voice sex. All domestic breeds can be crested so depending on the breed it might get more black feathers. Even if you are talking about a Pekin I wouldn't worry about a differently colored feather. Could just be a mutation.

sorry for the late reply back. they I believe are supposed to be all white.. I got them from metzer. these little ducks have brought such joy to the family. I am glad we joined the duck life. lol. thats exciting that it might be a drake and actually helps to confirm everything else I have been seeing with him. this whole time since he was just a day old I was pretty sure I had them mixed up hahaha. we got 6, 2 white crested, 2 chocolate runners and 2 buffs from them. when they are so new and you yourself are so new and you open the box and ducks are jumping everywhere its hard to keep track of who is who. i cut all the rubber bands off their legs and thought I got this I can tell them apart and then boom they scatter and Im pretty sure I have been confused ever since. they are 51/2 close to 6 weeks old so they are a little easier to tell apart just by their individual personalities as they grow up.

sorry for the late reply back. they I believe are supposed to be all white.. I got them from metzer. these little ducks have brought such joy to the family. I am glad we joined the duck life. lol. thats exciting that it might be a drake and actually helps to confirm everything else I have been seeing with him. this whole time since he was just a day old I was pretty sure I had them mixed up hahaha. we got 6, 2 white crested, 2 chocolate runners and 2 buffs from them. when they are so new and you yourself are so new and you open the box and ducks are jumping everywhere its hard to keep track of who is who. i cut all the rubber bands off their legs and thought I got this I can tell them apart and then boom they scatter and Im pretty sure I have been confused ever since. they are 51/2 close to 6 weeks old so they are a little easier to tell apart just by their individual personalities as they grow up.
I got 2 white crested ducks from metzer and i think one of them is mixed with jumbo pekin because she is very big

I have 6 Pekins, 5 of them are from Metzer. The one I bought locally has a single black feather on HER back. Everything I read said she should be a drake, but nope :D she lays eggs nearly daily! We've named her pearl, either for the single black pearl of a feather or now because she is tiny compared to the 5 huge Metzer farm Pekins! I'm guessing in her case, it is very likely that there is a different breed in her line somewhere, which I'm totally cool with!

I guess only time will tel but i wont worry about the black feather. this white crested that I was assuming was the female is Id say twice the size of the other one and pretty close or bigger than the buff ducks we got from them . maybe its a big mixed something hahaha. either way at least its probably not some weird disease or anything.

Back
Top Bottom