Crested ducks question

My sweet little girl, Little Quack, was a Crested white duck who had the best personality. She would try to eat water in the bath tub, she would converse with me quacking when she needed food/water/wanted to mate, and would try to jump out of her cage excitedly when she saw me. I just adored her and I did not know about the genetic mutation that created her crest. Unfortunately, at about 10 months of she, she started sporadically to lay soft shell eggs. I had her seen by the vet, and they eventually took blood to measure her calcium levels, which turned out to be very low. Her struggle with laying soft shelled eggs went on for over 2 years where despite a hard molt and supplementing with calcium and her levels returning to almost normal; she never returned to laying hard shelled eggs consistently. She would lay maybe 4 hard shelled eggs a month towards the end. Before she passed, her egg laying went from every other day to about once every two weeks with a soft shelled egg that took her hours to pass with assistance. I would put her in the tub with epsom salts, and would make sure she laid the entire egg. She was not herself when she had to lay these bad eggs, but quickly returned to her happy, sweet self when the episode was over. I would give her "Hydro Hen" after each soft shelled egg. However, after over 2 years of suffering with soft shelled eggs, and my vet refusing to give her an implant saying it was illegal in Indiana as she is considered part of the food chain, she suddenly died on the morning of December 30th, 2021. I woke up to find her stretched out with her legs behind her, and she had laid a soft shelled egg. Not sure if the eggs finally killed her or if she had a seizure or stroke, but she went suddenly and I am still traumatized by finding her dead with her eyes open. She only lived 2 years, 9 months. I will never get a Crested duck again, but she was the best in terms of her personality. RIP Little Quack!!

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_121024.jpg
    IMG_20211125_121024.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210804_003052.jpg
    IMG_20210804_003052.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Most of us know what it is like to lose one of our pets and I consider my ducks etc my pets. It is heartbreaking and it's nice to be able to share with others who understand.

Back
Top Bottom