Crested Mallard??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lil'chickies, Apr 8, 2009.

1. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    Has any one heard of this? I think I may have one. It's had a yellow spot on the back of it's head since I got him. It's growing a little and I didn't know if it might be a crest on it? How soon can you tell gender? I see mention of the tail feathers turning or something and don't quite get it. I'm just being honest, and would appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks,
    Sarah M.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes there are crested everythings I believe, but a crest would look like a crest upon hatching, unless it was only a partial crest.

The tail feathers is for drakes only, and they don't get those until they are at least 4 months old. Another way to tell is by their 'voice'. Females make a noticeable quacking sound, and they usually start it pretty early. My pekin girly started quacking around 2 weeks old, rouen and cayuga girls around 4-5 weeks.

3. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    Thank you so much. The mallard in question is one I bought at TSC. [​IMG] So I'm pretty sure it was born with it. One of mine has quacked once. Not a mallard, but it's either a pekin or buff. Not really sure. I'm not very concerned about sex, just hoping I have some of each so maybe they can have some babies of there own in the future!! [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If it has a puffy looking thing on the back of its head, then it is a crest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by