crested runner ducks from ideal

Katharinad - thanks for the information. The information on the feathersite page agrees with you. Pretty to look at if you like an oddity, but those duckling losses are not so cute and neither are health problems when you are dealing with the actual duck or duckling.

I would love to have a crested duck. Some are gorgeous. I just think it is wrong to raise something with such nasty gene. They can have tons of problems after hatching. Seizures are the most common, and I think it is heartbreaking seeing this happening. It leaves them helpless when it comes to predators. Just the stress of seeing a predator can set of a seizure. Other neurological problems are loss of control of their legs and wings. These problems don't always show right away. Some duck get one year old before it happens, and you by then you have bonded and it hurts seeing this happening.

I wish people and breeders would not raise crested birds. They are cute, but that is it. They are known for neurological problem like seizures etc. Not to mention the deadly gene combo when two of them breed with each other. Many breeders stepped away from crested birds just because of these issues. I hope you will perhaps look into some other duck breed. There so many to look at and they are cute and pretty as well.

thumbsup.gif

Exactly. And the more people who buy them the more they will be bred.​

I've been watching this for a while and all I see is people complaining about the crested ducks instead of explaining the gene.

This crested gene is no different then the japenese short legged lethal gene and you don't see people stop breeding them and the many other chicken breeds that have them including the frizzle bantam cochins that people most often buy unaware that two frizzle birds cause the bird to really be messed up. Not to mention the lethal genes in seramas and the araucanas and many other breeds Why are people so dead set against ducks that have them ? So instead of completely dismissing the entire thing by saying "Don't breed them!" Don't Buy them!"Because the crested ducks ARE out there already PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BUY AND BREED THEM REGARDLESS why not teach people how to breed them responsibly!!!

By saying well if your going to buy into crested ducks atleast you should know that you should pair up a drake with NON crested hens so you don't end up with deformed birds. Alot of people have a crested duck sometime or the other or still have them and love them like any other duck.

If you breed a crested drake to a crested hen you will get a bunch of deformitys but if you use a crested drake over crested hens it'll be 50% non crested 50% crested.

Last edited:
This crested gene is no different then the japenese short legged lethal gene and you don't see people stop breeding them and the many other chicken breeds that have them including the frizzle bantam cochins that people most often buy unaware that two frizzle birds cause the bird to really be messed up.

I feel the same way about breeding frizzles or any other animal that carries a lethal gene. A good example is the double dapple gene in wiener dogs. I think it is stupid. If others want to do it, that's fine. I just have seen way too many people who do not understand the genes end up with ducklings hatching with their brains outside their skulls to promote that type of breeding.​

Last edited:
Education does not work, and there is always some moron out there saying: "I had not idea, and nobody told me." It's just like those that post here: "Got a duck, quick teach me everything there is." We have seen this plenty of times. All of them are impulse buyers, they see cute, they buy not even thinking once. Does anyone ever read a book? Sometimes I wonder. I agree on careful breeding for shows, but not for everyday users. Make it a specialty, and not the every day sales item. And don't sell those to anyone that thinks they are cute. Man I'm just thinking off all those on ebay selling crested hatching egg. Not one has ever mentioned the problem they may pose due to their genetic markup. Neither have I ever seen a warning sign at the feed store, nor an employee pointing this out. And if you explain it, how many will get it? Really with an average reading level of the 8th grade. Where do you think the average comprehension level is? Not all people are dump, but a fair amount are. Those are the ones that carelessly breed and dump ducks on local lakes. Sad but true. That's why I say don't breed them for Joe Smoe. Make it a collectors item for those that do know what they are doing. Period.

Hi! I never got IDEAL crested Runners, but I got a *mistake* order (long story) that included crested runners from McMurry that were all happy and healthy.

LMEggs wrote:
I've been watching this for a while and all I see is people complaining about the crested ducks instead of explaining the gene.
This crested gene is no different then the japenese short legged lethal gene and you don't see people stop breeding them and the many other chicken breeds that have them including the frizzle bantam cochins that people most often buy unaware that two frizzle birds cause the bird to really be messed up. Not to mention the lethal genes in seramas and the araucanas and many other breeds Why are people so dead set against ducks that have them ? So instead of completely dismissing the entire thing by saying "Don't breed them!" Don't Buy them!"Because the crested ducks ARE out there already PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BUY AND BREED THEM REGARDLESS why not teach people how to breed them responsibly!!!
By saying well if your going to buy into crested ducks atleast you should know that you should pair up a drake with NON crested hens so you don't end up with deformed birds. Alot of people have a crested duck sometime or the other or still have them and love them like any other duck.
If you breed a crested drake to a crested hen you will get a bunch of deformitys but if you use a crested drake over crested hens it'll be 50% non crested 50% crested.

I breed crested ducks and frizzle chickens --- always breed crested to non-crested and frizzle to smooth.
It's always good to ask before you buy so you don't get unpleasant surprises.
smile.png

Lisa​

Back
Top Bottom