Crests on Legbars and Breeding them Out

I agree with you 100%. It’s been an idea, but I certainly am afraid of the damage that may be done. I have an open breeding pen, so I was thinking of testing out a cross. I wouldnot be mixing it back in with the main line unless I achieved something identical to the original. This would take a lot of time. Again, this is just an idea as of now.
Bantam ameraucana may be a better idea because they seem to match the size and type a bit better than legbars. Also, they have the same comb type. Beards can be bred out just as quickly as crests.

I have an update, I was able to secure more Raraku, so I WILL NOT BE OUTCROSSING! I have also learned a lot more about them since I first got them. They are ideally supposed to have a small tassel/crest! I also learned I have a red line, but there is a silver birchen line out there. The ones in the article linked prior are silver birchen.

As for the Ponape, they ideally have beard-muffs! Many of the traits I was initially planning on breeding against I learned are perfect examples of the landrace genepool. Go figure! The more I thought about it, I decided I will not introduce any foreign blood to these lines. As stated before they are very rare already, and I don't want to dilute there lineage any further. I will also not breed for anything in specific to keep a semblance of the natural diversity of their ancestors.

Back
Top Bottom