***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
I am new here but I found this thread, and am eager to learn more about this breed!

I just picked up a Crevecoeur Rooster today, I am in love with him! He is beautiful, and has an excellent temperament! He is very calm and doesn't mind being held, which is good news for him cause I like to hold my chickens haha! Anyways, hopefully I can figure out how to upload a pic!

OH  he's so pretty!  Looks like he used to wear a diaper, like mine, LOL (back feathers rubbed)  My boy is a big hugger too!

So glad you're here, I get so darn lonely!  LOL.

Oh I didn't even notice that! How strange, the man said he was a bit of a pet! Makes sense! I am excited to see how he matures, he is about 7 months old now.

That's how old mine are now :) Born October 16th! I just hatched 3 babies from him and my girl. I vent sexed them but don't know if I missed something. I'm hoping I have 3 girls
fl.gif
But really, I'm looking forward to purchasing some hatching eggs from exop, who doesn't hang out on the thread much but has some nice lines. Hopefully she can send me some in the next couple of months??
fl.gif

I had a leghorn go broody and wouldn't give up, so I gave her 4 eggs from Belina, my crevie girl, and she hatched 3 of them. Today, one got out of the coop and into the run, LOL, I knew that was gonna start happening and just took the rest of the flock's bucket of water away yesterday. I'm so glad I did, 'cause otherwise this little one could have gone for a swim and drowned! They still have water in the coop and in a hanging thing that I think is pretty safe from the chicks, though a fluke could still happen??

Last edited:
I just took a picture of my Belina. I haven't taken any in a long time :)

Got her with her mouth closed, but she's panting and holding her wings out 'cause it's warm today. I hope she can handle it when the real heat comes?! You can also see she's been getting some attention from Bouillon, as her feathers are a bit messed up :p

Also, Henny Penny, my white leghorn, hatched some of Belina's eggs and here she is with her brood:

They came down into the run with her today. I guess I'll have to make sure they all make it back up into the coop tonight! LOL

Last edited:
Since red earlobes is one of the problems with our Crevecoeurs, I thought I'd post a very interesting article on earlobes that I just found:
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/09E03A06.pdf

Unfortunately, it just reconfirms that it's difficult to figure out exactly what brings 'round red or white earlobes, LOL. There are probably several genes involved, making it complicated...

So far, from what I've read, it seems that crossing the darkest red to darkest red is your best bet to increase the red in the earlobes. Of course, then you have size and other issues to deal with. I'd love to hear whatever any of you think, but for me, I think the way I'll have to go about bettering these birds I have is:

1. select for size and type. Mine so far are so darn small, I need to increase size badly! However, I want to keep type, or shape at the top along with size. As an example, I think my boy's legs are a bit too long.

2. select for ear color. I think the ear color will be such a long process that it must be up there from the beginning in order to allow for as many generations as possible to improve it.

3. a close 2nd to #2 will be to keep the crest beard and muffs as full as possible. I'm not interested in making polish like crests though, to me, it should sleek back a bit for the boys, but be fuller than what my boy has, and more compact, globular and clearing the eyes for my hens. I think my hen has good type except her ear is pretty white, she's pretty darn small and her crest has been pecked at a bit, lol. Nice short legs though, but one tail feather with a white tip. My boy's beard and muff and crest could really be fuller.

4. Last thing will be for combs. They're supposed to be the easiest thing to fix, so I'm not even going to look at them until I get somewhere with the other stuff.

I can't wait to get eggs from exop and see what hatches! I guess it gives me a year from now, minimum before I get to start making any choices in breeding as it is. I may not use any of my birds (currently have 3 chicks with my other two). They probably won't be good enough, but you never know?? I might need something like Bouillion's nice black feathers, and Belina is also all black except that fingernail like white tip on one tail feather, LOL. So they may be useful in the end??

Last edited:
i think that sounds like a very good plan... i would not discount any bloodlines from the gene pool if possible, there is such a small one to start with...
Since red earlobes is one of the problems with our Crevecoeurs, I thought I'd post a very interesting article on earlobes that I just found:
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/09E03A06.pdf

Unfortunately, it just reconfirms that it's difficult to figure out exactly what brings 'round red or white earlobes, LOL. There are probably several genes involved, making it complicated...

So far, from what I've read, it seems that crossing the darkest red to darkest red is your best bet to increase the red in the earlobes. Of course, then you have size and other issues to deal with. I'd love to hear whatever any of you think, but for me, I think the way I'll have to go about bettering these birds I have is:

1. select for size and type. Mine so far are so darn small, I need to increase size badly! However, I want to keep type, or shape at the top along with size. As an example, I think my boy's legs are a bit too long.

2. select for ear color. I think the ear color will be such a long process that it must be up there from the beginning in order to allow for as many generations as possible to improve it.

3. a close 2nd to #2 will be to keep the crest beard and muffs as full as possible. I'm not interested in making polish like crests though, to me, it should sleek back a bit for the boys, but be fuller than what my boy has, and more compact, globular and clearing the eyes for my hens. I think my hen has good type except her ear is pretty white, she's pretty darn small and her crest has been pecked at a bit, lol. Nice short legs though, but one tail feather with a white tip. My boy's beard and muff and crest could really be fuller.

4. Last thing will be for combs. They're supposed to be the easiest thing to fix, so I'm not even going to look at them until I get somewhere with the other stuff.

I can't wait to get eggs from exop and see what hatches! I guess it gives me a year from now, minimum before I get to start making any choices in breeding as it is. I may not use any of my birds (currently have 3 chicks with my other two). They probably won't be good enough, but you never know?? I might need something like Bouillion's nice black feathers, and Belina is also all black except that fingernail like white tip on one tail feather, LOL. So they may be useful in the end??

two eggs in lockdown, don't ask why, LOL, had been collecting eggs and I dunno, decided to stick 'em in the coolerbator 'cause they were too far apart in age from my broody's eggs...

On the other hand, my leghorn is doing a great job with the chicks, and I'm really happy because I won't have to deal with integrating them to the flock. i'm wondering if I can slip these two in with the others in a week or so (when they can get up the ramp) I think they'd be able to keep up at that age, but I might be wrong, they might not be accepted by mama?? Hummm...

Well, I did end up slipping the two incubated chicks into the nest with mama despite them being almost 2 weeks younger than the 3 Henny Penny hatched. But it's been almost 2 weeks since I've integrated them and they're all great buddies. Henny Penny is being a great mama to all of them! So I took some pictures today, The older ones are starting to get their crests, and the younger ones are still holding on to their cute fuzzy buttedness, LOL. They seem to be growing pretty fast but then time goes by fast for me the older I get, eh?

I don't remember so much white on the face of their parents? I'll have to go dig up some pictures and see what they were like :)

Here are the parents when they were chicks... can't remember their age though, LOL

Back
Top Bottom