***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
Yes, I do sell hatching eggs. I am not enthusiastic about sending hatching eggs through the mail. I am so old that I remember when my dad used to order hatching eggs though the mail and EVERY ONE HATCHED. Those days are gone, sadly. I would send eggs to those who want to try it. Or, they can meet me at a show (I attend the Missouri Poultry Association shows and the Missouri State Fair, and occasionally the Ohio National, and I plan to attend Garfield Farm's Rare Breed Animal Show on May 21, 2017) and I can hand over the hatching eggs in person. I do advertise on Poultry Show Central and Livestock Conservancy when I have stock available. I do ship adult birds, but in my experience they will be stressed on arrival and need extra care (lots of water, good feed, and some space to themselves for a while). Let me know if there is a show or swap in your area and I will see if we can get there.

I live in Creve Coeur, (Broken Heart) Missouri and thought this would be a fitting breed for me, but realized they would not be hardy enough for a Missouri winter. Beautiful birds though. Can I live vicariously through you as long as my Australorps don't get jealous?

I am so sorry that you thought the Crevecoeurs were unable to stand Missouri winters. I live in a zone 5 area just west of Saint Louis, and I have been raising Crevecoeurs since 1997 here. They are outdoor birds, with a covered roost. I don't provide heat but I do provide un-frozen water. It's not unusual in a bad winter to see them with icicles in their beards. I do bring them in to thaw out any icicles on their heads, which doesn't happen as often as with the beards. I don't know how the old-timers came up with the idea that they weren't hardy. My guess is that they had a sample of poor stock.

I have a pen of Blue/Black/Splash Bearded Polish. Wondering what distinguishes them from Creves. My BBS Polish are built bigger than my White Crested Polish... wondering if the guy I got them from used Creves in the breeding pen.

I was really excited to get what I'm told is a rarer breed chicken. Now I am still trying to decide if Skunky is going to stick around or not. He is my only one and I would want to get some hens to go with him. What color do you consider his eyes and earlobes? How do I determine if he a good quality bird? Who's standard do you go by? I'm not sure I want to invest time in him if he isn't good enough quality to breed. He is missing some tail feathers thanks to a long winter in the coop.
70972_img_5107.jpg

70972_img_5111.jpg

@taprock: do you still have birds like this "crevecouer"? Looks like some that I have, and the breeder of my birds was in Remus, MI (sort of half way between us) I've been calling my "black polish" (there are also blues from the same source).

Well everyone. Thanks for the help. Here is what the hatchery said. “These two are either Ameraucanas or Whiting True Blues. The black one is a very unusual color ive not seen. Pretty”

So anyone’s guess but they are not EE according to them. ;-)

If I want to dip my toes in the Creve world with my hatchery orders, which hatchery would be best to get them from, Ideal, Privett, or Sandhill? Thanks!

I don't have recent experience with the hatchery Crevecoeurs. You might want to look at Jeannette Beranger's Livestock Conservancy project on Facebook and see who is active there. Some of them are regularly showing Crevecoeurs, and would be an excellent source.

If I want to dip my toes in the Creve world with my hatchery orders, which hatchery would be best to get them from, Ideal, Privett, or Sandhill? Thanks!

IMO any one of the three places do not have the time to breed for standard and leave it up to customers to do their own breeding projects -- I got my lovely Dominique chicks from Privett by special ordering them thru my local feed store. Out of 3 Dom chicks I have 2 adult survivor hens and they are lovely adults w/ nice rose combs w/spikes and nice U-shape back this breed is known for so I'm happy. This is my 2nd order of Doms from Privett origin:
DSCN9257.JPG
DSCN9614.JPG

Many owners have preferences on hatcheries or private breeders depending on their individual experiences. Sandhill has an admirable objective to preserve as many plants/veggie seeds and poultry breeds they can but do not promise "show" quality and leave SOP breeding to their customers. Ideal is like any other hatchery that breeds for sales and not into "show" quality and also leave it to customers to do their own project breeding. Privett like many hatcheries might have drop shipments go to customers from another breeder/location. GL on whatever source you choose & post pics when/if you get Creve's. Smiles!

Back
Top Bottom