***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
Houston, we have lift off!
Yesterday I found a medium sized pure white egg in a nest box with a few Orpington brown eggs. There was a little blood on the side, but not much. While I am estatic that she is laying, I am wondering if this is the FIRST egg, why is it so large? It is the size of a guinea egg.
I know only guineas and orpington chickens. Both of these breeds start by laying tiny, infertile eggs.
How did my Josephine suddenly produce an almost full size egg?

What is your temp zone? It was in the 40's here yesterday.
We have 14 hours of lighting in our barn, overnight with red lamps if temp is below 20 degrees.
While it was exciting to find the first creve egg, when we cracked it open it was not fertile.
Hence in next few days we'll isolate Josephine with Napoleon so that if mating happens it will be with the best Creve cock. Napoleon has been very busy with the Orpington hens. He looks like a fly on them compared to our huge blue Orpington roo.

Weather is variable....I am outside working in a t-shirt today, tomorrow we may get snow showers. I don't provide additional lighting for my birds. In no hurry, just excited at the prospects. : )

Yes, I can understand why you aren't in a rush for the setting and hatching. It is nice to have a break over the winter.
Today I was able to work in the barn with a pull over outdoor shirt and a light windbreaker, no gloves. Quite the outfit for Vermont in February.
The reason I use the lighting is that I like to start incubating around the beginning of March. I want to make sure my best hens are ready to go. Orpingtons lay all year around, but I don't want to take a chance plus I have guineas and they really need to be tricked to lay early.

I spent quite awhile cleaning out a small coop within my barn for the Crevy pair I want to breed together.

Here is my dillema, however! I have 4 cockerels. None are a problem other than trying to mate all the orpington hens.
Only one has the perfect V of his comb. He is not the dominant Creve cock. He has good type but not as large and dominant as the largest one. That cock has a body I would say is closest to the standard. However, his comb stands straight up. No V.

THe other two have fair type but one has a V comb only on one side and the other side is stunted. THe other one has comb with the protrusions somewhat crossing and his body type is inferior.

Which would you use? THe best comb or the best body type?

Oh crap, I don't know. I know a lot about breeding dogs, but nearly nothing about chicken genetics. We need to ask someone with more experience....how hard is it to correct a comb? If its really difficult then breed to the best comb and select the biggest best bodied from the "litter". : ) But if combs are relatively easy to fix, go with type. In borzoi theoretically type always comes first, BUT, bad tails take a lifetime to get rid of, so I wouldn't use a typy dog with a bad tail no matter what... I'm just not going to live long enough to go there.
Probably comb issues and their resolution are not different across breeds, but that's a guess.
We must do some research! : )

I would take a look at the hens comb. How is hers? I believe the Crevs. have the hardest time with getting good size and type. You are going to want to keep two roos at least for breeding. I would test the one with better type first and see what you get. I think the comb would be easier to work with. Can you post pics? Just my opinion.

The hen has a very good comb and decent body type from what I can tell comparing her to the standard. I am planning to keep the rooster with the best comb and the one with best body type.
It is easy enough to separate the hen with one of them, hatch those chicks and then try the other roo with the next batch. Of course I will have to use leg bands to keep them separate.
The combs take awhile before they will show their eventual form. At least I am guessing about this since it seems that it was at least 5 months before I could judge. Maybe others have more experience with this.
It sure would be nice if we DID have more research and information about the breed from experienced breeders.

X2
caf.gif

The hen has a very good comb and decent body type from what I can tell comparing her to the standard. I am planning to keep the rooster with the best comb and the one with best body type.
It is easy enough to separate the hen with one of them, hatch those chicks and then try the other roo with the next batch. Of course I will have to use leg bands to keep them separate.
The combs take awhile before they will show their eventual form. At least I am guessing about this since it seems that it was at least 5 months before I could judge. Maybe others have more experience with this.
It sure would be nice if we DID have more research and information about the breed from experienced breeders.

Back
Top Bottom