Crevecoeurs Breeder?

BreezyBre

Songster
Apr 6, 2018
San Diego CA
I am interested in finding a quality breeder of Crevecoeurs to do some breeding of my own . I'm not interested so much in show quality but at least quality stock to breed for preservation & help get more ppl interested in them . Currently located in San Diego and this has been quite a search this far

Jeanette Beranger at the Livestock Conservancy, North Carolina has been leading the Crevecoeur recovery project. I understand she had bred them to proper weight and the photos I have seen are some of the best I have seen.

I have an ad on Poultry Show Central for Crevecoeurs. I've been raising them since 1998 or so. I do ship hatching eggs, mostly in spring or fall. Closer to you, in Oklahoma there's Sue Dobson, and in western Colorado Tammy Glammeyer, both are regular commenters on Jeannette Beranger's Crevecoeur Project Facebook page, so you might be able to contact them that way. I don't use Facebook myself, but anyone can look at Jeannette's page without having to sign into Facebook.
Hope that helps!

I am willing to try if you are. I think our best bet for hatchability would be to ship as fast as we can, but I have looked at the USPS online lists and I have to say I am confused. I will go to our local shipping Post Office tomorrow or Monday and see what they think it would be. I will let you know what the cost is. Then, it will be that, for you covering the postage, plus $30 for the eggs.

I agree. Fastest to my island is two-day. USPS Express will do that. I have a few things to study and prepare first, as I have not incubated eggs before. Might have to wait for your spring shipping.

Spring is good for me. Right now only one of my hens is fully out of molt and laying, and I would rather give you an assortment!

I am also anxiously waiting to see how my roosters do at the Ohio National next weekend. I am entering both American- and French-laid roosters, one each of their cockerels, and two hens. Sue Dobson has the hands-down best hens and pullets, and I will try to get a few of her eggs included when I ship. Hawaii seems like a whole other country, even though it's not, and Sue and I want you to get the very best possible start.

Sue's amazing pullets made it to Champion Row at the 2019 Tulsa State Fair in both the Open and the Junior Class.

Spring is good for me. Right now only one of my hens is fully out of molt and laying, and I would rather give you an assortment!

This is very exciting! Spring would actually be perfect as I don't want to expand my current flock quite yet. Wow, we could really make this happen!

I am also anxiously waiting to see how my roosters do at the Ohio National next weekend. I am entering both American- and French-laid roosters, one each of their cockerels, and two hens. Sue Dobson has the hands-down best hens and pullets, and I will try to get a few of her eggs included when I ship.

You guys are real pros. I do need to learn a bit before I proceed so this is actually perfect. Best of luck with the Ohio National upcoming! I'd love to hear how it goes. And yes, I want to get off to the best possible start, too, so I appreciate it a lot. I don't know that there are a lot of (or any at all) Crevecoeurs here in Hawaii.

Sue's amazing pullets made it to Champion Row at the 2019 Tulsa State Fair in both the Open and the Junior Class.

How exciting! I'd love to be part of keeping this breed going in the best way possible. I'm pretty sure I only have one, although I'd hoped two. Will see in a few months, for sure. The one I am sure of, though, is the most interesting little chickie I've ever known! I've named her Antoinette. Pic of my sweet little one (I think?) here. If it's not an Antoinette, well, maybe it'll be André!

FYI we do have import rules we have to follow. I'll do the research ahead of time to figure out how to make it as simple as possible.

Rules:
https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/ldc/importing-livestock/birds-and-poultry/

Fortunately I have an example form from my Ideal Poultry import, and I think we can use it as a guideline. Also, feel free to let me know if this is not something you want to deal with, I would totally understand.

Thank you!

IMG_8923.jpg

Yes, your chickie is definitely cute and very typy for Crevecoeur!
My flock is NPIP and AI-free, so I am already part-way there. My state vet tech comes to my farm in March for my annual NPIP test. I'll check with her next week to see what we have to do for the rest of the requirements, and maybe we can get it all done at the same time. March-April is usually really good for shipping, since everyone will be coming into laying season.

Back
Top Bottom