Crib conversion to chick brooder. Need advice

AmeliaBedelia

Crowing
Jan 23, 2021
Georgia, USA
I have a free baby crib I am thinking could make a great chick brooder for chickens and maybe down the road quail. So my wish list is as follows:

1. Outdoor safe - we may set this up on the back porch, which is not predator proof (although it is in a fenced yard with dogs). We do have access to power, so heat won’t be an issue out there.
2. Baby chicks can’t escape. (Duh, haha)
3. As easy to clean and maintain as possible.
4. Super-mega-bonus points for any cost-saving tips or easy construction hacks. I don’t have a full shop with a table saw or $500 to spend on this 😅. Which is why I was so excited to find this crib-figure most of the structural work is done for me.
5. Bonus points if it is weather proof and lightweight so it could be easily converted into a quail hutch or tractor or broody jail, etc, down the road.

I would LOVE to hear any tips you guys have, even if just minor details.

Specs on the crib - it is roughly 55x30 inches (interior 28x53). It is solid wood, with about 2 inch gaps between the slats. The floor of the crib is heigh-adjustable and also made of wooden slats, these with about 4 inches gap between each. The legs are about 7 inches high, so the floor can be that low or higher, depending where I screw in the brackets. Any thoughts on the ideal? Do baby chicks need lots of “head room”?

I am open to scavenging (obviously, since that’s how I got the crib). Welded wire and hardware cloth are tough to find used around here though. I have some 1” chicken wire I could use, but that wouldn’t be ideal. So any ways to use less hardware cloth but still have a secure build, let me know!

Oh and we typically have hot, humid summers and only a few chilly days in winter. And when it rains it RAINS. (Georgia, USA.) I plan to get chicks in mid April, so it should be pretty warm by then.

You might take some inspiration from my brooder: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

I'd think that, despite the desire to save money on it, there's no substitute for hardware cloth, especially in a climate where ventilation is going to be critical. You can put on tarp or even old feed bags more or less according to the weather at the time to provide an appropriate amount of shelter.

Does the crib have a fold-down top half on one side? That would be incredibly handy.

Do baby chicks need lots of “head room”?

Not necessarily, but I think that having room enough to hang feeders and waterers is good -- less spillage that way.

You might take some inspiration from my brooder: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

I'd think that, despite the desire to save money on it, there's no substitute for hardware cloth, especially in a climate where ventilation is going to be critical. You can put on tarp or even old feed bags more or less according to the weather at the time to provide an appropriate amount of shelter.

Does the crib have a fold-down top half on one side? That would be incredibly handy.

Not necessarily, but I think that having room enough to hang feeders and waterers is good -- less spillage that way.
Very good points. And I will check out your build!

Any photos of this crib? Mentally the first thing I'd want to imagine is if it could be flipped upside down, so the crib bottom forms the "roof" but no idea if it can be opened that way.

I agree hardware cloth or welded wire no wider than 1/2" secured to the bars really would be the way to go, for predator protection, prevention of chicks squirting through, and ventilation.

How about this or this. Here's pic of a few more ideas.

7909ea450682195d5788d6e5a5b42e78--quail-coop-old-cribs.jpg

https___prod.static9.net.au_fs_23bbc922-c055-442f-a364-5edc5758d6f9.jpg

Any photos of this crib? Mentally the first thing I'd want to imagine is if it could be flipped upside down, so the crib bottom forms the "roof" but no idea if it can be opened that way.

I agree hardware cloth or welded wire no wider than 1/2" secured to the bars really would be the way to go, for predator protection, prevention of chicks squirting through, and ventilation.
It is currently in pieces in the basement, but it is one of those “modern” looking ones where everything is squared off and it can be converted to a toddler bed by removing one of the long sides. So I am hopeful it could be built “upside down” if I decided to make a tractor-style set up down the road for quail. But the mattress/floor section would be tough to use as-is for a door. It is very similar to a crib wall (wood slats) and attaches to the rest of the frame with L brackets. So I suppose I could cut out some of the slats and add doors? Worth a ponder.

I will try to get it out and set up soon, but these tips are helping me start to wrap my head around things and figure out what I may need to get my hands on! The photos are helpful too. I have the hardest time finding things using the search bar on here!

It is currently in pieces in the basement, but it is one of those “modern” looking ones where everything is squared off and it can be converted to a toddler bed by removing one of the long sides. So I am hopeful it could be built “upside down” if I decided to make a tractor-style set up down the road for quail. But the mattress/floor section would be tough to use as-is for a door. It is very similar to a crib wall (wood slats) and attaches to the rest of the frame with L brackets. So I suppose I could cut out some of the slats and add doors? Worth a ponder.
Reason I was thinking upside down is if you could find a way to hinge one of the walls/part of the walls that would provide side access, and of course take advantage of the bottom of the crib as a roof or as a structure to hold up the roof (i.e. you could install roofing panels over it to weather proof). Not sure if that's feasible or practical - I admit I've never actually handled a crib in my adult life lol so I'm having a hard time visualizing how to "rebuild" it./

As I'm used to have no floor on my brooder or isolation cages (as I place them in the run) the lack of an actual floor is not an issue and actually easier for me as I don't need to do any sort of flooring maintenance that way. For the porch though you could place it on cardboard to protect the porch and for easy clean up - for extra "security" (though this won't protect against determined predators you could even zip tie the cardboard on if needed.

Back
Top Bottom