Crime: Why does anyone even bother?

Quote:
Elizabeth..LOL.. you have no idea what i have seen AND lived with. Sorry.. but true.

OOh and i dont have hatred;..I (just as the above poster said).. took off my rose colored glasses a looong time ago.

Last edited:
Quote:
Elizabeth..LOL.. you have no idea what i have seen AND lived with. Sorry.. but true.

OOh and i dont have hatred;..I (just as the above poster said).. took off my rose colored glasses a looong time ago.

And you have no idea what I've seen or lived through. Just becase I am young doesn't mean you can all suddenly dismiss me off as a child who doesn't know any better.

I find the last few comments quite patronizing and insulting.

Quote:

And you have no idea what I've seen or lived through. Just becase I am young doesn't mean you can all suddenly dismiss me off as a child who doesn't know any better.

I find the last few comments quite patronizing and insulting.

No..i dont think you are young...
lol.png

Youre in your 20's, i'm assuming... i'm not THAT much older...
old.gif
tongue2.gif

Quote:
If you are referring to me, you are wrong on 2 points- I have been inside prisons, for many years, and I hold no hatred. My faith and belief in God command that I hate no one and nothing, and after years of letting hatred eat me up, I gave it up for good. I pity people. I feel bad for people. I pray for people. I do not hate people. I judge with my heart, not with hatred.

Quote:
+1

The cops generally do a really good job that I greatly appreciate. It's the rest of the system that I have problems with.

I'd just like to make it clear I love my local police and I think they do a fantastic job and I agree the rest of the system is effed. I DO think criminals should have harsher sentences for some crimes (but I also think some crimes are just stupidly sentenced... 3 months for unlicenced driving, really??). I think the prison system has failed the entire population by failing the prisoners and the way they handle them. I do think A LOT of people should be incarcerated sooner. I also think A LOT of people should be given more leniency (we have some INSANE driving laws here - everyone I know has lost their licence at some point and 1/3rd of the incarcerated are driving offences, most not drinking).

I love my local police force, they do an excellent job. I wish the system didn't fail THEM either. It must suck to work so hard trying to do so well and just see the ones you protect get hurt all the time. Plus the police have almost always been there for me when I needed them. I have absolutely nothing against most police officers (although if anyone wants to google "Brisbane Fitzgerald Inquest" they sure can see why some might not like police).

I think the whole system can be reworked in a way that's beneficial to all of society. My focus that people are arguing is simply the way I personally can make an effort with the training I have. There are MANY MANY other ways to fix the broken system, my diet comparison was just one that seemed to get really blown up in this thread and I'm sorry for that.

The whole thing is seriously... *choice words*.

Quote:
Well under that reasoning we should lock up all jay walkers for life before they one day cause a fatal accident.
You can not punish someone for what they MIGHT do in the future.

He wasn't jaywalking
roll.png

Lemme go re-read the article (which was poorly written, but that's the media for ya)
Court records show he was arrested and booked in July with aggravated assault, illegally carrying a concealed weapon and aggravated assault with a firearm. Records show that in September he took an "Alford plea," meaning he did not admit he was guilty but conceded that the strong evidence could have led to his conviction.
Criminal District Court Judge Laurie White gave Alexis credit for time served, meaning he was released at that time after having spent 54 days in jail, the records show.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/02/new_orleans_pizza_delivery_man.html

THAT's what I meant about the JUDGE not punishing him severely enough for his previous crimes. 54 days for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon???? COME ON!!!
he.gif

Like I said, some crimes deserve tougher punishment, that is one of them, it doesn't mean I should take the all or nothing stance.

Quote:
clap.gif

Showing compassion does not make us weak.
Lack of compassion is the true weakness.

No, it just means we took off the rose-colored glasses quite awhile ago.

There is a difference between rose colored glasses, compassion, and just being heartless.
I have been a victim of horrible crimes, things that still make me wake up crying, and things that i carry physical scars to this day. I have lived in poverty, and lived comfortably, I have worn muddy boots and worked in an Alabama summer tending crops by hand, I have worked in a kitchen that served the supreme court justices of Alabama, I have dated a poor immigrant, and the son of a Turkish ambassador ( once and only once, not doing that one again EVER). As a child I was in and out of the system designed to straiten out "bad kids" and suffered further abuse. I have been at protests, faced the gun of a corrupt police officer at a protest that went wrong, had dinner with a good honest officer, prayed with criminals, worked help lines and counseled both victim and criminal alike. I see the ugly, I've seen the good. I do not allowed the people who wish to use me, use me, but I do not let myself be so hard as to not show basic human decency such as compassion.
To you Christians out there, what would Jesus do?

To you Christians out there, what would Jesus do?

If you really want to know, there's a book full of stories, about him.

If you are looking to stick a thumb in the eye, of people you perceive to be hypocrites, well, welcome to the flock. He who is without sin..........​

Back
Top Bottom