Crippled Chicken (Wheelchair help!)

kherokee

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
Connecticut
I recently took my Sumatra to the vet and was diagonsed with a crippling knee/lower femur injury. She's currently on two medications twice a day and I am determined to give her as much life as she would without her handicap. Ive been thinking of ways to construct wheelchairs or walkers for her and I wanted to hear any ideas or help you guys have.

When she can't use her legs she falls back onto her hind end, so I was going to put her in a sling type contraption thats raised at her hind end to give her a little more support. My biggest concern is what materials to use and where to get wheels etc.

(i'm holding up her hind end in this picture)

Maybe you can alter a kids toy shopping cart or stroller. Pvc is a good option for lightweight material. Not sure what to use for wheels if you use pic though. Keep us posted.

I recently took my Sumatra to the vet and was diagonsed with a crippling knee/lower femur injury. She's currently on two medications twice a day and I am determined to give her as much life as she would without her handicap. Ive been thinking of ways to construct wheelchairs or walkers for her and I wanted to hear any ideas or help you guys have.

When she can't use her legs she falls back onto her hind end, so I was going to put her in a sling type contraption thats raised at her hind end to give her a little more support. My biggest concern is what materials to use and where to get wheels etc.

(i'm holding up her hind end in this picture)
I had a silkie who could not walk.It did not have wheels but what I did was take a small box depending on how big your chicken is, cut two holes in the middle for the legs and used old t-shirts to pad it up so the leg openings would not hurt the legs. Just lay the t-shirts over the leg holes and cut an x where the hole is located on the box so the part you cut can wrap over the edges of the holes.Then use duck tape to keep the t-shirt folded under the leg holes. If your chicken is capable of walking the box will slide with her but keep an eye that it is sturdy enough to not tip over. My silkie could not walk at all but I made the box so she would not be constantly laying on her legs and so she could at least try to use her muscles. She made a complete recovery and is doing great now. PLEASE remember to not leave unattended if you try this.

Back
Top Bottom