~~~crippled or what?please read and respond!!!!!~~~

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Justino, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    my newborn chick is almost all fluffed and has not stood up yet....its been alsmost 9 hours since it actully came out of the shell....i had newspaper down but very quickly changed it to paper towels....it scoots along the grond to go in the light but so far no walking....should i be concerned?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  2. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    if u look at my avatar you can see how its leg sticks out....even on paper towels with good traction on them

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

You can try to tie his legs together and see if it heals, but that looks like a hip or knee joint problem. We don't have much luck with those healing and they are put down. If you do try banding his legs, make sure do do it so the string or whatever you use isn't too tight around his leg or it will cut off circulation.

4. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Most new hatchlings have some trouble getting around for the first day, but if the chick is really spraddle-legged, you can use this technique. I know it works, because I've used it.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

5. Basia

Basia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    NE Ohio
    That was informative, Thanks!
    I had two chicks that I helped out of their shell that ended up cripple.
    Their feet and legs didn't work. They used their wings for crutches and they made it for 3 days...I know I should have helped them and then I should have culled them.... I learned. That always isn't an easy thing to do.
    They weren't spraddle-legged...
    Dunno about your chick though...
    My chicks always stumble around a bit after they hatch and then stumble around allot within 6 hours or so... with tons of sleeping in between.

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  6. bartryon

bartryon Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2008
    my silkie just had two chicks what do i feed them?

7. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Your chick looks like what is commonly called a mushy chick. Simply put the small incubators often hold too high a humidity and the chicks is not dehydrated enough. He weighs too much for his legs right now, but that should change over the first couple days. The risk is that he injure himself while he is still too heavy is the main problem. Keep him in a nest like of towel and have the light there so that it's more to one side, then he can go a bit in or out of it to adjust his temperature. Do not put water in yet as he is at risk of drowning by not being able to get out of the waterer. I'd not put feed in either as he is not needing it for at least 24 hours and should not have it till he has water or he might get plugged up. At 24 hours of age start giving him feed and water only when your there to see that he is safe. When your sure he is strong enough, and he is up walking well leave the feed with him, and give him the usual flat floor.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    bartryon - you can feed mom and babies Chick Starter crumbles.

Jody

9. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    some site said put shavings in for better traction or something and it seems to be working....well, now we can only wait to see if it stays that way [​IMG]

10. pepperluvsmee

pepperluvsmee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Seven Valleys, Pa
    COOPIST!! That was an amazing suggestion for Spraddle!!
    I always, always use that spongy drawer liner for my new peeps or fleece. I go through a lot of it, but its worth it!
    Hope the peeper is doing better!!
    Good luck.
    -Theresa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by