New to hatching turkeys

Robi22

Hatching
Feb 9, 2024
Hi everyone, I just had my first batch of turkey eggs in my incubator. I had 15 eggs that was fertile. Some stopped on day 9. And other stopped on day 15. I had 5 eggs in the end that made it full term. One hatched completely on it's own and is thriving. I have some questions regarding the other ones and would love some advice on what I did wrong so I can avoid it in the future. My temperature was 99.5°F and humidity was 55% for the first 24 days then I changed over to 98°F and 80% humidity.

1. One baby that started unzipping but stopped for 24hours so I assisted. It was more wobbly than the first one but it looked like it was doing good. There was no yolk or blood when the turkey came out of it's shell. But it died the next morning. Why would that be?

2. I had 3 eggs that kept moving but no unzipping happened from day 26, 27, 28 29 and 30. On day 28 the one egg stopped moving. Day 29 the second egg stopped moving. My last egg was still moving. I opened the other 2 eggs and saw they were shrink wrapped but there was no pip or unzipping so I don't know how that happened? What did I do wrong with them? The temp was 98°F and 80% humidity.

3. My last egg I decided to help since it looked liked it pipped so I just made a small hole at it's beak but the rest of the shell I kept closed. I put it in a wet paper towel in the incubator so the baby could stay moist. It was doing good for 24 hours until it died too. When I took the baby out, it's yolk was almost absorbed and the blood was almost gone. Did I help too soon? How do I know when to help as I was scared it will die as well like the other 2.

Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG-20240209-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20240209-WA0003.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240208_184638.jpg
    20240208_184638.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi everyone, I just had my first batch of turkey eggs in my incubator. I had 15 eggs that was fertile. Some stopped on day 9. And other stopped on day 15. I had 5 eggs in the end that made it full term. One hatched completely on it's own and is thriving. I have some questions regarding the other ones and would love some advice on what I did wrong so I can avoid it in the future. My temperature was 99.5°F and humidity was 55% for the first 24 days then I changed over to 98°F and 80% humidity.

1. One baby that started unzipping but stopped for 24hours so I assisted. It was more wobbly than the first one but it looked like it was doing good. There was no yolk or blood when the turkey came out of it's shell. But it died the next morning. Why would that be?

2. I had 3 eggs that kept moving but no unzipping happened from day 26, 27, 28 29 and 30. On day 28 the one egg stopped moving. Day 29 the second egg stopped moving. My last egg was still moving. I opened the other 2 eggs and saw they were shrink wrapped but there was no pip or unzipping so I don't know how that happened? What did I do wrong with them? The temp was 98°F and 80% humidity.

3. My last egg I decided to help since it looked liked it pipped so I just made a small hole at it's beak but the rest of the shell I kept closed. I put it in a wet paper towel in the incubator so the baby could stay moist. It was doing good for 24 hours until it died too. When I took the baby out, it's yolk was almost absorbed and the blood was almost gone. Did I help too soon? How do I know when to help as I was scared it will die as well like the other 2.

Thank you for any advice!
1. Your humidity was too high.

2. Don't lay eggs on wet paper towels. The water evaporating cools the egg.

I incubate turkey eggs at 99.5⁰F with the humidity close to 30%.

I hatch them at 99⁰F with the humidity between 60% to 70%.

Were you using calibrated thermometers and hygrometers to double check your temperature and humidity?

Did you have the vents open? Never close the vents to increase the humidity. It can cause the poults to suffocate especially during hatching.

1. Your humidity was too high.

2. Don't lay eggs on wet paper towels. The water evaporating cools the egg.

I incubate turkey eggs at 99.5⁰F with the humidity close to 30%.

I hatch them at 99⁰F with the humidity between 60% to 70%.

Were you using calibrated thermometers and hygrometers to double check your temperature and humidity?

Did you have the vents open? Never close the vents to increase the humidity. It can cause the poults to suffocate especially during hatching.
Thank you so much for your reply.

I googled the humidity and temperature and the humidity and temperature I had them was what most was saying. That is what is so confusing to someone new. I am using the Nurture 360 incubator from tractor supply.

I was looking for advice on regarding my last turkey and I saw someone saying to wet a paper towel and to wrap them in it and put them back in the incubator after you opened them. That is why I did that.

I will definitely try the temperature and humidity as you said above with my next batch. I don't have a thermometer or hygrometer. I will get them before I do my next batch of eggs. Thank you.

Yes my vents was always open during the whole 31days I had my eggs.

I will definitely try the temperature and humidity as you said above with my next batch. I don't have a thermometer or hygrometer. I will get them before I do my next batch of eggs. Thank you.
I put 2 extra in the incubator in case one is wonky. Frustrating if incubator and extra are different and I wonder which is right. With 3 I have a tiebreaker.
I'm in a humid area so I dry hatch until lockdown. Otherwise I did like R2elk... anymore I just let the hens hatch. Most live until coccidiosis or predators get half.

Back
Top Bottom