Crippled Turkey

Quote:
I didn't do any research before ordering our turkey. I had done a ton on the chickens for a few years before I decided to order them. My husband and daughter really wanted one, so when I called the Hatchery to order our chicks I asked them a few questions and they offered to put a turkey in with our chicken order. My mistake for not doing the research. The hatchery I ordered from would only ship Turkeys as straight Run, so we didn't know at first if we had a hen or a Tom. If you want only pullet I suggest you research who would sell specific genders. I bet the BB pullet have the same problem. It's not only that they are to big to walk, it is a leg deformity that is caused by the fast growth rate. I have been informed that they should be butchered at 16 weeks old and mine is now 6 months old.

I don't know what would be the best turkey for eating. I know mine looks very healthy. I don't know if BB is cheaper than the heritage breeds. I ordered him in April. I'll have to recheck my order form. You can go online and check out hatcheries to see what they offer and even order a catalog. I went with a hatchery that our feed store uses b/c it was closer, so I figure the little babies would have less stress traveling through the mail.

I know our feed store sells tukeys in their store around May, so that may be something to look into if you didn't want to put in a big order from a hatchery. The hatcheries usually require a min of 15 to order for warmth through the mail. They were able to put my one lonely turkey in my shipment in b/c I had ordered 15 chickens (pullets).

I'm sorry that I'm not much help! Good luck!

I bought 2 turkey's. One died and the one that survived appears to have a problem with it legs. I have had turkey's in the past and never had problems with their legs. The one that died also developed deformed legs. I bought 2 different turkeys about 3 weeks later and so far so good. I read the other threads and it appears that with some breeds of turkey they have leg problems. I got my chicks from Big R and I am going to call and ask them about the turkey's I bought. All the chicks I bought are healthy. I assumed the turkeys would be too. I am glad I found this site. I have a small farm and have 4 adut chickens, pullets and one rooster. They are my pets but they lay eggs too so.....bonus

I know it has been a little while since you had this issue. Please let me know how everything turned out. I have the sweetest little 6 week old royal palm turkey that it's left leg is facing left instead of forward like the other leg. I would appreciate your thoughts on what to do. I've taken her/he to the vet and taped the legs together for two and a half weeks with no change. We call her/he Baby and already we are attached to this little pet. We would be grateful for sharing your experience. Thanks, Linda

Back
Top Bottom