Critical breeds list

okiehen

Songster
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
Oklahoma
This is a list of the critical breeds of chickens. From the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy.
Critical:fewer than 500 breeding birds in the United States, with five or fewer primary flocks{50 birds or more}, and globally endangered.
Andalusian
Aseel
Buckeye
Buttercup
Campine
Catalana
Chantecler
Crevecoeur
Delaware
Faverolle
Holland
Houdan
Java
LaFleche
Malay
Nankin
Redcap
Russian Orloff
Spanish
Sumatra

Who has any of the breeding birds listed?
Tell us what breed and if you have hatching eggs,chicks, pullets ,hens, roos. For sale.
And please add any information you have and pictures if you would like.
I would like to get a breed and work with them that is in need to bring off the list.
I like more than one and don't know what way to go. Also if there are anyone interested in a breed that is listed and can't find eggs or birds.
Thanks for looking

I have been interested in breeding crevecours for a year now. I have had MM Hatcheries send me Crevecours three times but they all died. So if you know anyone who has any eggs, let me know. I would love to breed them and get them off the list. They are very pretty.

I have standard black La Fleche, they are not laying the greastest yet, I have about a doz eggs in the bator.

Ive been thinking about getting some Buttercups and Crevecoeurs, but really dont have the room for more breeds.......

Do you have a list of water fowl and/or turkeys? I think the Pomeranian geese are on that list, I have Pom geese and I have eggs for sale, 3.00 an egg..............

Last edited:
Great, Thanks soooo much.........

Edit to say I also have buff hens and a roman tufted gander in the geese, now I need mates for them......................

Last edited:
I have a mottled houdan roo I think and a salmon favorelle hen....all came from Estes hatchery in Springfield, MO

I have Delaware's I've been working on for a couple years. They're laying nicely now and I sometimes trade eggs from them.

Last edited:
I have Delawares. I worked hard to find genuine heritage birds. I think it should probably be noted that in spite of their being listed on the critical list (and rightly so), most hatcheries carry them. For instance, you can obtain birds called "Delawares" from:

Murray McMurray
Cackle
Ideal
Hoffman
Meyer
Xtreme Game Birds
Double R Supply
Privett
Stromberg's
My Pet Chicken
and others...

However, the quality and authenticity of some of these hatchery birds has come in question among serious breeders. It's the same with some of the others. It's hard to find genuine heritage birds but worthwhile if you do...

However, the quality and authenticity of some of these hatchery birds has come in question among serious breeders. It's the same with some of the others. It's hard to find genuine heritage birds but worthwhile if you do...

I totally agree. Coopist you have some really beautiful birds.​

Back
Top Bottom