Critique my Brooder setup plus advice for delivery day

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
This will be my second brood but first time getting them by mail. I am so excited and nervous about keeping them all healthy. I actually got my hands on some breeds ive really been wanting and want so badly for them to all make it. Since there is only 4 chicks coming, I am feeling a ton of pressure.

They will start out in my garage. I am in North Florida and while it's getting warm during the day (between 75-80 F.) it does drop into the 50s at night, sometimes even 40s with the occasional hight 30s. My first brood was in June so I didn't worry at all about keeping them warm, but as some of you may have read in my previous post, my brooder plate isn't cutting it. I went ahead and bought a heat lamp from TSC and set everything up. Im attaching some photos of the setup. Is there anything I should change or add? I do have the thermometer in there right now to see how the temps are with the lamp. Is it too high? Right now my thermometer is reading 85.3 and it's currently 76 degrees outside. Im worried about putting it too close to bottom of the brooder.

Also I bought some probiotic and electrolyte packs (photo also attached) because I read it's good to perk them up when they arrive. Anyone have experience using this stuff? How do you mix it for a small group. The instructions are by the gallon but I am only using the small waterer in the photo.

Thanks!
IMG_2703.jpeg
IMG_2704.jpeg
IMG_2707.jpeg
IMG_2705.jpeg

I'd move the heat lamp further away. You should aim for around the minimum the brooder plate functions at (like 60F) ambient, there's no benefit to warming the whole space when you want to be acclimating them to cooling outside temperatures.

The sav-a-chick, you can kinda guesstimate for a smaller batch, so if 1 pkt makes 1 gallon and you're doing 1 liter, just use around 1/4 pkt per liter.

Are chicks smart enough to use that style of waterer? I would consider adding a shallow dish to the set up as well, just in case they don't figure it out. I have had good success using jar lids upside down, then each bird gets its beak dipped to learn what it's all about.

Are chicks smart enough to use that style of waterer? I would consider adding a shallow dish to the set up as well, just in case they don't figure it out. I have had good success using jar lids upside down, then each bird gets its beak dipped to learn what it's all about.
My first batch got it immediately. Water comes out by just a tiny touch so all you have to do is tap their beak against it a couple of times and they understand. After a few weeks I switch to horizontal nipples since that's what I use in the main run. It's a quick learn.

I will monitor them, of course, and if I see anyone struggling to grasp it right away ill add a dish.

I'd move the heat lamp further away. You should aim for around the minimum the brooder plate functions at (like 60F) ambient, there's no benefit to warming the whole space when you want to be acclimating them to cooling outside temperatures.

The sav-a-chick, you can kinda guesstimate for a smaller batch, so if 1 pkt makes 1 gallon and you're doing 1 liter, just use around 1/4 pkt per liter.
Even before they start getting feathers? Ive been stressing over making the area beneath the lamp 95 degrees. the brooder is so large I figure they have plenty of space to adjust their own temps, but I thought it would be too cold. Ive had the lamp off for a few hours and it's currently 76 degrees in there. I guess I thought they needed to be super warm for at least the first week or two? I worry it doesn't get warm enough under my plate.

I also know you're an experienced chicken keeper so I always take your replies as sage advice.

Even before they start getting feathers? Ive been stressing over making the area beneath the lamp 95 degrees. the brooder is so large I figure they have plenty of space to adjust their own temps, but I thought it would be too cold. Ive had the lamp off for a few hours and it's currently 76 degrees in there. I guess I thought they needed to be super warm for at least the first week or two? I worry it doesn't get warm enough under my plate.

I also know you're an experienced chicken keeper so I always take your replies as sage advice.
Some folks theorize they'll feather faster if exposed to cooler temps. I find they simply are hardier against temperature fluctuations.

The plate will be the main source of heat. Of course make sure it's working properly, it should be quite warm to the touch but not burning hot. You only need enough ambient heating to ensure the plate will work according to instructions, usually 50 or 60F.

I brood outdoors in late spring with a mama heating pad with temp ranges of mid 40s to mid 60s. No ambient heat (MHPs can work at lower temps). Chicks go straight from the feed store to the brooder, so around 2-3 days old. Even at that age they'll opt to spend a good amount of time away from the heat source, generally just going under it to warm up while napping, just as they would with a broody hen.

Also I'd check at how close/far the brooder plate is from the wall. If it's close (like 1/2", 1") I'd move it slightly further from the wall. Chicks are pros at finding ways to wedge themselves into tight spots. I lost one chick that got itself stuck in a gap and panicked to death.

Back
Top Bottom