Critique my coop design

Livinzoo

Songster
13 Years
Mar 2, 2008
Statham, GA
Here is the floor plan. The numbers label that wall.
312391765.jpg

There will be a dropping pit along two of the walls. Outer part is higher for roosting inner part is lower for placing food and water containers on.

6 x 6 area for Roos.

Enclosed run will be located off wall 3. With the roos having their own enclosed run.

Side profile of the dropping pit.
312391798.jpg

Wall 1. Each dark line is a 2x4. They are spaced 2ft apart unless otherwise noted.
312391790.jpg

Wall 2
312391985.jpg

Wall 3
312391779.jpg

Wall 4 The door on this one might have to be cut shorter. That is why the ? and circle.
312391805.jpg

Please let me know any things that you see that I have done wrong or that needs improving. This is my first coop and I would really hate to have to redo it a bunch of times.

Last edited:
This is a good looking chicken house. It looks a lot like mine. The only thing that would concern me is the roof pitch. I don't know where you live but a 2/12 pitch is kinda weak for any type of snow load. Then again if you live where it doesn't snow you will be OK. Good looking plans.

I agree with Flyman...great design as long as the roof pitch will handle any snow you may have. Nice size too.

Last edited:
I'm not certain how wise it would be to have the food and water so close to the roost... I can easily imagine poo that 'perches' on the wire of the droppings pit getting kicked over, and waterers and feeders getting knocked down from traffic to and from the roosts. Also do you really WANT your feeder over a droppings pit where spilled feed is hopelessly lost to the chickens as opposed to they can pick some of it back up out of the shavings (providing coop is rel. clean). Or am I misunderstanding your design?

Pat

Quote:
I noticed the same thing, and agree with you if that is how it is with the food and dropping area. Also, I would definitely increase the roof pitch.

We get snow once every few years here in Georgia. So snow is not really a concern. What little bit we get is gone very quickly.

That does make sense about not having the food get wasted. Story's guide suggested the food on a dropping pit, that was the reason I was doing it.

I'm planning on having some ducks, so I should probablly make the water have it own dropping pit away from the roosts than. So if they splash around it doesn't get into the main coop bedding. They will have a pool outside to really splash around in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom